Shipping a rifle

Question is what is the exact process for shipping a rifle to another state? How is the payment and the shipping of the rifle guaranteed for both parties?

Thanks

It has to go from an individual to an FFL or manufacturer. Or from a manufacturer to an individual. You can’t ship a rifle between two non FFL individuals.

UPS handles these shipments, and you just track it like any other package. You can ship parts, barrels, actions, etc. just don’t list it as a firearm when you ship it. But complete rifles need an FFL to receive it or ship it for you.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

As far as payment, that is determined between to buyer and seller. Most people selling on Gun Broker require a Postal Money Order. As far as Shipping, if you go to UPS or FedEx’s website, you can get accurate and up to date guidlines on how to package, what is required, etc. It will have to ship to a FFL. For example, I just purchased a Benelli from a individual in Wisconsin off of GunBroker.com. I sent him a postal money order for the gun. He just received it, so he will now ship it to my FFL guy here. Once he receives it, I will go to him and complete the paperwork just like I would if I were to walk into a local gun shop and buy a gun.

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”

So what stops your guy in Wisconsin from cashing the Postal money order and just walking away?

You need leadenwahboy here on CF.

www.baturinphotography.com

quote:
Originally posted by ReelShock

So what stops your guy in Wisconsin from cashing the Postal money order and just walking away?

In reality, nothing. Dealing with Gunbroker is somewhat similar to using eBay. The website does guarantee your sale to an extent and then there is also the fact that the postal inspector gets involved when you are defrauded.

Like eBay, you have to look at the sellers ratings as well. I haven’t been burned yet knock on wood.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

You need leadenwahboy here on CF.

www.baturinphotography.com

Thant who I am using to receive my shotgun.

Use PayPal. It won’t release the funds until it is shipped and you verify you received your goods.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Yep talked with him about being the FFL on this end, but I hate to lay everything on the guy…

I ordered a rifle this morning. It’s coming from Louisiana and being shipped to a local dealer with a FFL near me where I’ll pick it up. The transfer fee at the local dealer is $25, plus tax. Nothing to it.

I put it on a credit card, so no big liability if it doesn’t work out.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I ordered a rifle this morning. It’s coming from Louisiana and being shipped to a local dealer with a FFL near me where I’ll pick it up. The transfer fee at the local dealer is $25, plus tax. Nothing to it.

I put it on a credit card, so no big liability if it doesn’t work out.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Who is charging you a ‘tax’?

If you ain’t hooked, you ain’t doing it right.
14’ Duracraft w/twin 25 Johnsons
http://www.myspace.com/myduesouth

State of GA, sales tax.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Another thing you can do is get his wired routing number for his bank…have him take the gun to a FFL gun shop and call the gun shop to see if the rifle is ready to ship, then have your bank wire the money to his bank. Seems a little safer.

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

State of GA, sales tax.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Seems weird that GA would charge sales tax on a service because that’s what a FFL transfer is, a service.

I don’t know of any shops here in SC that charge “tax” on a FFL transfer. It’s typically just a flat fee.

In the future, where every stranger poses a potential threat, knowing the predator mindset is the only safe haven.

Xpress H20B Bay Series
Yamaha 115 SHO

I don’t think it’s a tax on the fee. It’s a tax on the gun. That’s what I’ve experienced.

Still seems odd they can charge sales tax on an item that wasn’t sold in the state, let alone that it was a person-to-person sale.

Here in the Columbia/Lexington area, I’ve never been charged more than a flat transfer fee when I’ve done a FFL transfer. Just lucky, I guess.

In the future, where every stranger poses a potential threat, knowing the predator mindset is the only safe haven.

Xpress H20B Bay Series
Yamaha 115 SHO

In SC, if the place where you purchased online is out of state then all you pay is a FFL fee. You pay the sales tax like any other out of state online purchase when you file your income taxes. (Like all other honest online shoppers pay at the end of the year.)

There are state and local sales tax to be paid here. This is exactly how it broke down for me, ordered from galleryofguns.com and shipped to a local dealer with a FFL…

quote:
Fees: $17.00 Taxes: $112.15 Total: $1,731.42 GOG Deposit: ($444.00) Due at Pickup: $1,287.42

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by DueSouth

In SC, if the place where you purchased online is out of state then all you pay is a FFL fee. You pay the sales tax like any other out of state online purchase when you file your income taxes. (Like all other honest online shoppers pay at the end of the year.)

So anytime I order something from an out of state online retailer that doesn’t charge me sales tax, I should then pay sales tax at the end of they year?

Xpress H20B Bay Series
Yamaha 115 SHO

quote:
Originally posted by archer
quote:
Originally posted by DueSouth

So anytime I order something from an out of state online retailer that doesn’t charge me sales tax, I should then pay sales tax at the end of they year?

Xpress H20B Bay Series
Yamaha 115 SHO

Yes, if you’re honest.