Shooting Range Backstop

So gotta friend that owns a dozer and we are go look at some of the clearing I want to get done.

One of them is a 100 yard shooting range. Looking at some vids, I notice some where folks are using old tires, then covering with dirt. Seems like a good idea to help hold stuff together.

Never went looking for old tires, lol. Do folks give them away I wonder?? Tire shops and the likes??

Perhaps I am overthinking this and just let my dozer buddy work his magic??

I think y’all get my drift…

Also, what’s the normal rate for a day of dozer work?? I know that the mulcher is, $2k plus

Thanks
NN

BTW, it’s a Case 855D. I know nothing about dozers, but he does.

NN

I wouldn’t worry with the tires,a good dozer man should be able to push up a berm in no time.Might even get a shallow water hole out of the deal.

A Track Loader might be a better choice. But, a friend with a dozer, is a friend, indeed!:+1:

I’m with sman… I wouldn’t worry with tires. But I wouldn’t want a water hole in front of the area I was setting up targets. You can get fancy with it and sink some telephone poles and push the dirt up to them… If your man is good you can get a LOT of dirt in a 100 yard area and a nice slope to keep rain running off the area. Make it wide for safety!

Your dozer work should be cheaper… As I’ve recently learned the big expense on mulching is the cost of teeth!

1 Like

Watering hole would be behind the back stop.haha

Thanks for the replies. Really overthought this thing. Gonna let the dozer do it’s thing.

As for the watering hole, got a chuckle out of that, regarding front or rear, lol.

No plans for any watering hole, as creek just down the way a bit running parallel with planned shooting range.

Anyway, taking DIL, and the two grandsons there Thursday to ribbon off some stuff for clearing ahead of the rain.

Thanks again,
NN

Its not too late to put up a stand…

I have some ground blinds, with one more ready. Also a couple of those two man mellinium ladder stands that have to put together.

Running later than planned, but you know.

NN

No rush on it DoubleN! take your time and DO NOT stress over any of it. Man you’ve got Oct 22 to January 8. Can only eat so much venison!

Got to see my first decent scrap on the property yesterday. jPoor magnolia gets wacked every year.

Almost every year I watch a big nocturnal buck after dark on cameras. Almost every year I see that buck at 9 or 10 or 11am in broad daylight chowing on corn. That usually happens between October 5-8th for some reason. To me, that marks the start of the hot and heavy action and it stays good through about mid November. They are stupid through this time. Set up shop and you’ll get a good one!

1 Like

DoubleN,

Never let a 50 gallon drum go to waste. Around the property they are awesome for everything from hobo barrel fires to stay warm (most efficient campfire ever) to short range backstops when you have a few filled with dirt.

We use one for trash at camp and when its been burned 100 times and full of melted glass, wet ash, and god knows what else its easy to bury and start again.

The clay pigen thrower lives in one.

Lots of uses

Hey Fred, stress you say, nah. This is the total opposite of that.

May need to name it the “Stress Relief Homestead”…

Bow season is open, so hope to stick one, or more hoping for my son to. Regardless, gotta get things ship shape with larger clearings for planting plots, ect…

Anyway, lots to do, which is a good thing, especially now, and love this fall weather.

Take care
NN

EF, lol. I’ve been a drum Hobo off and on for along time. And yes, pop a few holes in it with your favorite caliber to let it breathe and it will glow!

One thing I like, this county has one of those trash drop thingy’s with at least 20 dumpsters that’s only about 3 miles away. Pretty handy.

I REALLY want to snag a skeet tosser. That’s some fun!!!

Actually gonna go online now looking…will try to be patient if you or anyone can give some good advice on a good one. There is no power there yet, but have generator and 12volt supply. NOCO 2000amp with the 12volt plug in.

Suggestions wanted and appreciated.

Thanks
NN

Disregard on the skeet tosser. Ordered the Trius 10201 one step.

Thanks
NN

My wife got me the same thing a couple years ago. I’ve only played with it a couple times . It took me a little bit to get it dialed in. I was flinging clays all over the neighborhood.
Still never took it to the range.