Shout out to Charleston Trailer

I see they are a sponsor on this site and wanted to thank them for getting my trailer back to almost new where I don’t have a pucker effect when hitting road bumps. I got a straight up evaluation and worst case scenario quote before work started of what they could see and couldn’t determine yet. They try and save what they can as to not bend you over the coals while they have you in their shop. I also learned a little something about dissimilar medals and what NOT to do when greasing your hub bearings. I blew my seal out and didn’t know it until they checked and found grey nasty grease under the cap. The lady I spoke with really explains and shows you everything.
Anyway, they do a really good job and have the means to take your boat off the trailer to do the work. I’ll definitely be back when I need work done in the future.

2 Likes

Yea they are definitely a good choice for trailers!

Now, go on and spill the super secret beans about hub greasing… we’re all waiting :smiley:

HAHA you probably already know, but i was taught as a kid to pump grease until you see the old grease getting pressed out and then you are good. This is not the case, at least with my hubs. You actually can overpressure the seal(inner or outer) and blow it out like i did on one side and it lets water in. I greased like this on both sides a month or so ago, but only one blew the seal so it’s a luck game I guess. She said just hit a couple squirts every 4-6 months or so and re-pack every so often but i don’t remember what she said exactly about time frame for that.

If you ever want to “purge” grease out you have to install the grease seal backwards. You are 100 % correct grease seal are not designed to allow grease out. Defeats the whole concept on “bearing buddies” that most don’t realize and the company doesn’t tell you. Also used to like “moly” in my ep greases. Nope… not good for High speed applications like fast moving bearings and U-joints. It’s great for pins and bushings.

Maggie and Rod at CT are the best IMO. I’ve been owned by trailer bearings so many times due to overpacking them. I finally asked for Vortex hubs and no looking back. I love the peace of mind not having to worry about whether my bearings are gonna blow out! I had them build me a trailer for my Sportsman in 2018 and it looks and rides like new even still. Only thing I’ve had to replace have been rotors and recently calipers due to corrosion which is pretty much unavoidable.

1 Like