shrimp heads

how many of you use the heads for bait. What i mean when you head your catch do you freeze some for bait? I thought about it, may make it easier for spring fishing?

fish today work tomorrow

some friends of ours that do a lot of shrimping save the heads for bait. They have caught lots of trout and reds on them.

I do and have…make great chum and minnow trap bait too…save a few small packs,also good to place under seat in husbands truck when he makes you mad :wink: lol…just kidding:)

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Shrimp stock

crab trap

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

Shrimp stock

DING DING DING we have a winner!!!

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

maybe if they are fresh yes… but dont know that I would freeze them for stock use later no more than I’d freeze a crab with its guts in it…but that might just be me…

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Make the stock with fresh heads, two or three dozen. Throw in a couple of carrots, a stalk of celery, and onion, salt, pepper, three or quarts of water, some thyme, etc and boil for 20 minutes or so. Let cool and strain then bag up and freeze. Makes an awesome base liquid for the gravy in shrimp and grits!

Long Enuff

quote:
Originally posted by penfishn

maybe if they are fresh yes… but dont know that I would freeze them for stock use later no more than I’d freeze a crab with its guts in it…but that might just be me…

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

it’s not JUST you… i ain’t freezin’ shrimp heads. use 'em fresh or get 'em gone.

I save them for chum when striper fishing at Murry and Hartwell
1o/4 on the stock also

We use everything - never throw anything out

Chum is the word - sharks +++ ever try Chum while red fishing ??

Capt Dave
Fishing Kayaks SC

Chum your favorite fishing hole…

Capt. Brian M.Garris
Reel Deal Charters

www.thereeldealcharters.com
www.zmanfishing.com
www.drslick.com
www.haddrellspoint.com
www.fishmaster.com

I run them through an industrial meat grinder with left over fish parts and funnel the goo into 1 gallon milk jugs. Add some water and menhaden oil and freeze. Tie a line to the handle after cutting/drilling holes in the jug and hang it overboard. Instant chum line!