Shrimp on depth finder

On my Lowrance CHIRP they look more like a swarm of dots right at the bottom. I’ll take a pic if I get into them again.

Biker, that was my observation before, too. I bought this expensive sounder hoping to identify shrimp better…not sure it’s right, but when we’d throw on these types of findings, we’d catch shrimp. These were in the Harbor and not great size.

1 Like

Biker, I have a Lowrance also and can’t seem to get settings right to show shrimp. I am using a white background and it seems like nothing I change on the settings seems to pick them up. I was catching some Saturday but couldn’t find them on the chart. I would love to see a picture on yours. Thanks

1 Like

If I can get on them again I will try to get a pic. I was using high chirp and played with sensitivity settings and had dual screen with downscan on one side. I should have recorded it on the system…never even thought about that until now…and realize that it will record.

I have a Garmin 441s and have no idea how to set it up to read shrimp! My friends have different brand depth finders with all kinds of side scanning down imaging chirp reading gadgets.Every time they say “I see them” throw now, I come up empty net. I just use the depth part of my depth finder, once I find them I stay in that depth. I would really like to know how to find them on my screen but after 5+years of deep hole shrimp in I’ll have to stick to what I know.

I have kind of the opposite experience…if I haven’t seen them on the sonar I haven’t caught any. We had a technique that was working when we were in 15ft… Drive into the wind until we would see them. Turn the boat in a 180 in the up current direction…then I’d throw with the wind with the net landing a 1/2 to 1 boat length up current from where the sonar was pointing when we’d see them.

I read them on my Lowrance on Auto Setting all the time no need to tweek! Like Biker said you have to guage them on the drift back and throw above tide. Watch the net on the DF and watch as it sinks. I bet it doesn’t get to the shrimp where you read them

Thanks, I will try that.

Great subject JohnWStory. I started tweaking my Simrad thru hull echosounder back in late August when the shrimp began to show up off of CB. And it took about a month to correlate what we saw on the bottom and what we dropped on deck post cast. And I am happy to share the details. Here is what I now know. 200kHz is the best frequency as one would expect. Just like your photo, the bottom is the dark red with a very thin yellow line on top. And directly above that, all of the aqua blue are shrimp on the bottom or within one foot of the bottom. Notice the time stamp on the photo. This is close to sunset and when the shrimp start balling up to migrate from the deep to the CB shallows. This screenshot was around 60 medium shrimp per cast. The detail of the Simrad NSS-evo makes all the difference.

Sportsman 247
Yam 300
Eat Creek

They look almost identical on my Humminbird as they do on Cruiseman’s Simrad. Little blue hash marks just off the bottom.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Larry, are you in CHIRP mode? The other tidbit of info that I will add is around the signal return colors. It is my understanding that the hotter the color…then the denser the object. So the bottom represented as a thick dark red line is obviously a harder bottom when compared to a thinner red line for pluff mud. And the cooler the cooler, such as the aqua or light blue of the shrimp, is based on their smaller size and lack of tissue density. In addition, shrimp do not have swim bladders so they do not typically get interpreted/marked as fish. At least most of the time.

Sportsman 247
Yam 300
Eat Creek

quote:
Originally posted by Cruiseman

Larry, are you in CHIRP mode? The other tidbit of info that I will add is around the signal return colors. It is my understanding that the hotter the color…then the denser the object. So the bottom represented as a thick dark red line is obviously a harder bottom when compared to a thinner red line for pluff mud. And the cooler the cooler, such as the aqua or light blue of the shrimp, is based on their smaller size and lack of tissue density. In addition, shrimp do not have swim bladders so they do not typically get interpreted/marked as fish. At least most of the time.

Sportsman 247
Yam 300
Eat Creek

The color returns are going to be dependent on which brand you have and the settings entered

Bump. This info is too good to lose. Saw the “blue grass” on the bottom today!

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

I’ve been fortunate to see the “black snow” as we called it on my depth finder, but only once…was with my dad and we coolered out on large, very clean shrimp in about an hour…10-12 other boats doing the “dance” around each other…but we were all there for the same reason so you’d throw your net and ease out of the way, bail shrimp, reload, then ease back in the group…nothing like pulling up a 10’ net with 8-10lbs of shrimp in it…that biomass of shrimp was approx 5’ thick on the bottom…incredible…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

I can show everyone what no shrimp on the bottom looks like!

Here how it looks with standard sonar and DI on a hummingbird helix

Cruiseman, great info in the Simrad. Using similar - have you tried “Bottom Lock” feature and did it help?

CRUISEMAN, WHISKEY WAS WONDERING,WHATS UP WITH WATER TEMP. & TIME???

I have never gone deep holing. Where is a good spot in the harbor? Thanks