Shrimp on Garmin 441 or 541

Anybody out there have either of these sounders and can tell me what a congregation of shrimp looks like on the bottom? I’m just getting used to mine and need some help interpreting what I’m seeing. I’m assuming “hard” bottom (inshore) is red. Can you even make out a bunch of shrimp or are they too small?
Thanks!

I have the 541… you can turn on the “White Line” and it will show you the hardness of the bottom. On mine shrimp look like a couple of tiny spikes on the bottom, almost like sticks in the mud (I think). I have only tried pulling shrimp out of deeper water once, but when I saw those “Sticks” was when we got shrimp in the net.

Good luck.

ok. thanks for the advice.

Green spikes on mine 541s

I went yesterday to a hole I’ve seen people pull shrimp from many times and was able to pull enough up for dinner but that’s it. I have a garmin 546s and I can’t seem to figure out the settings in order to see the motherload. Or maybe they just weren’t there??? Caught 5 per net on average and 11 was the most I caught in one cast. Any advice on the settings or if the shrimp aren’t in the holes yet???

Tab

They’re not there. At least for me now. I toggle between the zoom settings until I get a good visual.

Tab,

What size were the shrimp you caught?

I had a good mix of shrimp. There were more mediums than large with a couple jumbos. Afterwards I stopped by the local seafood joint in McClellanville hoping to buy about 50lbs of them jumbos since I had a below average baiting season and to my surprise they were not much bigger than what I already have in the freezer. I do hope and pray for the shrimp crop to make a comeback in the coming years. Aside from the struggling commercial industry I for one used to pride myself in bringing home a cooler full of nice SC shrimp.

Tab

Reel escape, what do the shrimp look like on your screen? When I was catching the majority or mine the screen had greenish hash marks. Or I was just getting lucky…

Tab

Short, vertical, green spikes on the bottom.

Anyone been trying the holes? Cold as its been they should be there right?

Tab

We hit 5 holes yesterday and only found shrimp in 1, the last one we went to of course. When we finally found them, one throw of the net overflowed the live well and a second throw filled half a cooler.
Hole was 38’ deep. Quit and went fishing. Nothing large, smalls and mediums, but it was a 2 cast limit once we found them.

On my Humminbird the shrimp show up as little blue spikes on the bottom.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

On my Lowrance HDS unit, it depends on the amount of current flow and quantity of shrimp. Not much current and lots of shrimp,they show as a blue cloud on the bottom of the river.
When the current picks up, the shrimp will usually hug the bottom tightly, and the bottom will look jagged or rough.
Like Larry, we found them Friday at our second hole. 30 minutes, full cooler. Mostly small and mediums.
Not the first boat came by while we were catching.

What’s the best tide to go deep holing???

Tab

I’m sure not a deep hole expert, but we hit them on Friday at the start of the incoming.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Some spots are good at high tide, and some at low tide. The days with smaller tides are usually better. An hour on either side of the tide is good. Let’s say the tide is going out; just when the tide turns to come in will be when the shrimp stack-up. Also, days with bright sunshine and with the sun directly overhead (10- 2 o-clock) seem to be the best. We were catching them in the holes in late August.