Shrimping Charleston Harbor

I used to go shrimp baiting for close to 20 years, but haven’t been in 8 or 9 years. Back then I shrimped the harbor with pretty good success. My brother-in-law got his license and poles this year and we went opening night. We set up in about 3 feet of water at dead low tide. Baited up and waited for the tide to turn. We ran the poles about 5 or 6 times and got skunked. Remley’s Point landing was deserted when we got there, which should have told us something. Anyway, does anyone shrimp the harbor anymore? Also where is Cowpins, or Cowpens? I see posts of folks shrimping there.
Any insight is appreciated.

I haven’t been yet, but I know that it sucks to get skunked!

Cowpens is the northern portion of Cape Romain above MCVL, whole thing is a big open flat with shelter from many directions and high salinity water most times.

Crab bank is known for sandy bottom, sporadic success but better size, JIYC to Ft J is known for easy but smaller average size. This is because the south side of the harbor takes most of the river outflow and consequently has lower salinities and more suspended fine particulates (pluff mud)

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s great information.

1 Like

barbawang knows stuff

At slack water low tide the shrimp are in deeper water.I set my first pole about 6’ deep and then go progressively shallower never parallel to the shoreline but perpendicular We anchor up and when the incoming swings the boat around we go to work. The deeper poles produce first and only later do the shallow poles produce. If you set all your poles at 3” deep you will only have a short period of production. When they can get into the grass it’s over.

My poles are 15’. 10’ of emt With 5’ of pvc on top

2 Likes

That’s great info, thanks!!
We have 15’ poles. I like the idea of setting up perpendicular to the shore or grassline.

Nice to have folks like you and Barbawang posting insights. There’s been some pretty negative posters on here in recent years by folks not inclined to share the resource.

That shouldnt be a problem any longer.

Thanks for stopping back in. How do you like the new design?

Nice to see you back.

Be sure to post some reports!

A kindly thank you Johnstory! The method of setting the poles was out of nessicity to save this old man’s back and arthritic throwing arm shoulder. We used to set up years ago before there was any regulation with our baited poles along the grass line. We had to wait and work hard and fast to fill a cooler because the run would not last after the tide pushed into the grass. It took us a while to figure out that the shrimp were coming from deeper water. Duhhh

1 Like