Shrimping while anchored

Question
Has anyone ever tried anchoring their boat
And tried shrimping

we call it one poling, it works and it’s relaxing.

anchor out tightly between 2-3 points and give it hell!

probably won’t make a cooler, but i’ve gotten close to half doing it by myself

2 Likes

Thank you
Gonna give it a shot

1 Like

Had one of my best days ever doing that. Had wife and my 2 boys (young, at that time). My littlest could barely lift the 3’ net over the rail but he still caught a half dozen a cast :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s what I’ve done since my Marine shrimping partner got transferred out of state three years ago. It’s very relaxing. The main thing is getting the boat set firmly in one spot so you can set bait off the front, port and starboard front and back, and not lose the spot
. Unfortunately I just had knee replacement surgery two weeks ago so this season is likely out but my recovery is going well and I should be ok fishing in another couple weeks.

2 Likes

One-poling is all the wife and I do. Quiet and easier on the marriage. We go to Bulls Bay, drive in an area where we have had success before (far north edge) until we see “candles” on the sonar in about 5 feet of water. They’re not dependable in shallow water. Then we go shallow in line with the incoming tide, 2-3 feet. I toss the anchor with plenty of scope and back down to make sure it’s set. I let the tide and wind line the boat up, plant one pole along the anchor line and put in a stick pin to hold aft in place. I’ll drop one bait ball and throw on that as a test. If the shrimp are there I press on, if not I’ll move until I find them. I scatter bait basically in quadrants. When the tide is running 10 minutes between throws on the same bait is enough time for shrimp to return if they are there.

3 Likes

Thank that is very helpful
Gonna give it a try
What size net you recommend
I have a 20 foot skiff with plenty of room

Used to do that quite a bit when I kept my boat down there. If I couldn’t find anyone to go out, I’d do just that. 1 pole, some bait balls and just chill. cast some, sit and relax, cast some more. Catching shrimp was just the gravy. Being out there was the main thing. Water is therapeutic.

I have an 6’ and 8’ and a 12’, i rarely threw the 12’. Throw what you throw best. A 6’ pancake is better than a 12’ taco.

1 Like

My wife throws a 6’ net and can make a nice throw getting plenty of shrimp. I throw an 8’ Betts Super Pro and that is the sweet spot for me now. I’ll get a few more per cast but 7’ might be better for me since I’m not getting any younger:) I also have a nice 10’. If thrown correctly it covers a lot of water but it is so heavy errors are more common and it takes longer to reload. Lots of folks say to throw whatever you can open consistently. Make sure it’s legal size, 1/2" or bigger.

1 Like

Ok thank you
Lots of good information and advice

Thank you for the advice
Was able to cooler out north bulls bay
Caught around 10 stingrays which slowed the process down a lot

2 Likes

Lost a lot of shrimp because I pulled up on horn with most of the stingrays to get them out of the net.

Wow. Thats annoying, but congrats on a nice cooler!

I’ve caught some things other than shrimp but, never caught a ray before.

Wow! Nice work. I have caught 1 big ray while out but 10??!!. What a pain but nice cooler.

1 Like

Yep the Rays were feasting on the shrimp
Had 3 in the net one throw
Buddy told me I should’ve kept them and made scallops

Great cooler. Great story. I’ve never caught a ray in net only fish.

2 Likes

Rays taste NOTHING like scallops,

My wife convinced me to try rays, agree, nothing like scallops and never again

1 Like

Never tried it don’t intend to