Since we are talkin AR'S

I just bought me first “stock” m4 from Palmetto State, have not even fired it yet.Remembering the battlefield horror stories from the past,do I really have to clean it every time I fire it?

NO.

But, it can’t hurt.

For me, I base it on what ammo I was shooting and how much I shot. If I just run a mag of some good ammo through one, it doesn’t get a detail clean like if it got 300 rounds through it…

Most of us won’t shoot enough to get one dirty enough to work (depends on a lot of factors of course).

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I think that most guns really don’t need to be cleaned after every range visit. Unless you drop in in the dirt or mud, or you let someone with cooties handle it. Each manufacturer will give a recommendation based on round count. But as standard practice I clean mine after every trip … just because.

j

I always clean mine. ARs get comparatively pretty nasty in my opinion.

Narcosis

when you get home is it sunny or rainy? Everything I own gets a oiled rag rub down after handling even if it doesn’t get shot before it goes back in the safe or closet.

acidic skin oils and sweat are heck on a weapon.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I wouldn’t worry about cleaning it as much as I would keeping it wet (oiled). I always make sure my BCG is wet before I run it. As far as cleaning goes, every firearm is different. Some shoot better when they are a little “dirty.”

quote:
Originally posted by Juice15

Some shoot better when they are a little “dirty.”

Funny you say that, my son brought me up to speed with a .17 it actually shot better groups after firing a few rounds through it after a thorough cleaning. It seems to hit a "sweet" spot being a little dirty. After a good cleaning it shot Quarter groups, then down to dime groups, then works back to quarter groups.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
Originally posted by Juice15

Some shoot better when they are a little “dirty.”

Funny you say that, my son brought me up to speed with a .17 it actually shot better groups after firing a few rounds through it after a thorough cleaning. It seems to hit a "sweet" spot being a little dirty. After a good cleaning it shot Quarter groups, then down to dime groups, then works back to quarter groups.

Both of my 17’s do that.

When we used to shoot for groups with friends, I used to just rack off 10 rounds before ever getting on the bench.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

The military snipers I knew never cleaned their weapons. they wanted all the compression they could get

All rifles shoot better when the barrel is fouled. POI will change more from a clean barrel to fouled than it does from cold bore to a heated bore. AR’s are just more susceptible to mechanical failure when they get dirty. The only time I clean my bolt guns is when groups start to open up, then I’ll run 5 shots through just to foul it again.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne