Skunked again, again

Went fishing Friday, May 12th. Fished Morgan creek and the surrounding creeks around Dewees and capers. Fished hard from around 8am to 4pm and caught 1 small shark and 2 stingray. Followed some advice on these forums and picked up some fresh cut bait at the local seafood store and took mud minnows that we fished under a cork. I just do not get it!

I did gain a lot of confidence with my skiff I got in some really shallow creeks I know now to never leave home without my push pole on the boat.

Still not giving up…

1 Like

I’ve been there many many times. i’ve been skunked in known places i catch fish with live shrimp and live finger mullet. sometimes you just can’t get them to eat. Keep trying.

1 Like

I put in yesterday at 0545 and got my ass handed to me.Fished for four hours.Nothing. I blame it on all the menhaden in the creek.Used artificial lures only,It happens,should have tried for a garfish.Plenty of them around.

You’re fishing near, and in, some fairly productive areas.

What are you trying to catch?

Your typical inshore species: redfish, trout, etc…

I haven’t spent a ton of time fishing in Charleston but without a doubt that is the most menhaden, mullet and redfish I have ever seen in the creeks feeding.

Always heard about tailing redfish but they were everywhere it was something to see.

Maybe if I would have had a fly in something in the shallows I would have done better.

2 Likes

Let’s start with the basics.

You need to " target" the fish you want to catch.

Not just put a minnow on the hook, and cast out.

Red’s, Trout, Flounder, all live in the same locations, but, have a different bite.

If you follow me?

You said you have a “Skiff”?

Are you familiar with the Copahee Sound?

There’s a population of Red Fish, in the back of Copahee, that are in that tail waters of Copahee Sound.

They will be there until they head out to sea, never to come back.

You’ll have to test your experience as a Captain, and, test the abilities of your bote, to get there!

Do you know where the “Shark Hole” is?

2 Likes

TIDES are very important, best times are (2)hrs. before low(outgoing) until (2) hrs. after low(incoming). Other times are more hit and miss, mostly miss, so Fishing 8to4 is 8 hrs., only 4 most likely productive. The other 4 you can go get a sandwich and (1) beer or other beverage and just relax, then go back at the right time. Also, look for activity in the water, or structure in the water like shellbeds, islands in the middle, or SHARP curves where water swirls, but not completely still. BUTTTT, sometimes things vary too from that.

Right now the report is lots of bait in the creeks, that means with plenty to eat the fish don’t have to search for food so your little single bait not in a school is too much effort to catch, and of course they are not hungry except at daylight, and end of day like us, pretty much.

Too very simple info there, but that’s basic to know. Look for seminars in the area by Guides, most are in winter though, check with Haddrell’s bait and tackle for seminars and personal help too.

1 Like