Smitty's Store in Roadside (Yemassee)

https://www.mapquest.com/us/south-carolina/roadside-grocery-380775597

If we have any on this sight that has ever frequented the Yemassee area you should most likely be family with Jim Smith’s store in Roadside on 17a. Not sure how long it’s been in business but I know at least 40+ years. Dad used to trade Mr. Smith fish for a six pack and a Mountain Dew and Snickers bar for me. Man had a memory like a steel trap. Came back from the service and went in the store and he called me by name and asked about Dad. Then got to talking about fishing on Cherokee and the Bluff. His son has been running the store the last year or so and has a really good lunch.

Dad’s birthday was 4/4/1933 and Mr. Jim’s was 4/14/1933

2 Likes

I got a ticket in Yemassee.
66 in a 45…

Well… you must be family. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I believe I have stopped in there once or twice over the years.

And yes, you will get a ticket in Yemassee.

Coming in from the Walterboro side it drops quick to 45 then 35… been stopped twice with a warning both times. I believe they have backed off just a little and focusing on the area on and around I95

What’s the scoop on the shooting range up there? I heard people’s houses were getting hit.

Big stink!! There are some lawsuits and probably more to come. I heard the biggest issue were a few dic weeds not shooting responsibly on the long range area. ?? This is a really long standing issue, been going on since 2018. Just a few weeks ago Senator Mathews got involved and there is an Emergency hearing going on. I think a little behind the doors Good old boys things going on, but that should be over. Yemassee is also looking into annexing the Property into Town limits… That is if Beaufort County doesn’t take it over.

Time will tell…