smoked brisket

Wanted to try something a little different so I used a paprika based rub similar to what I use for pork. Wifey doesnt like a lot of smoke so I coated it thick and let it marinate for 24 hours.

Slow and low.

Threw in some of these…

Some gorgonzola accoutrement…

Heavy rub kept smoke out and wifey loved it!!!

It was good, but not my favorite way to make brisket. Anyone have some good brisket recipes they’d like to share?

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

When it comes to beef, I keep it pretty basic. Salt, pepper, garlic. Even rubbing it down with straight Montreal is pretty awesome. I hit mine pretty hard with the smoke. Oak and hickory.

I always use a whole, untrimmed brisket. Basic rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder, maybe some paprika. I use whole hickory nuts for the smoke. which produce an awesome flavor.

OFM, what temp did you take it to, before you pulled it out? Not to say it is, but looks dry? Might be the picture, but it sliced real nice and has a nice bark on it! I’m doing the St Paddy’s Day Corned Beef and Cabbage in the crock pot this Sunday! That’s a no brainer, unlike smoking!

PS: I have Myron Mixon’s book and I make my rubs and smoke it per his recipes! Good stuff! I still haven’t mastered ribs like his:face_with_head_bandage:

Buy the whole packer brisket (12-16 lbs with both the flat and cap). Season with whatever rub you want ( I also inject mine) and cook at 225 degrees for 10- 14 hours or an internal temperature of 195-205. When it stalls around 160 degree’s pull it and wrap it tightly twice with foil. Once you reach your target temperature, take it out and cut the cap off.(The smaller fattier piece). Season the cut side of the cap and place back on the smoker in an aluminum pan for an additional 2-4 hours. Wrap the flat tightly and let it rest for at least two hours. Once the cap is done cut it into 1" cubes. They are what we Kansas City BBQ people call burnt ends.

you had me at… :smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by on a fishin mission

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Easy, I took it to 185. It wasnt dry. Wife took it to the office and they killed the thing, this was from Sunday.

oyster and juice, I usually do a basic salt pepper rub, wifey wanted something different. I usually use pecan for smoke. I like the mellow taste and I have free access to pecan.

Pippin, I had a small window and not what what needed for a whole so just cooked a flat. Do you glaze your burnt ends? I’ve had varying results and seemed to do about the same thing each time.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

you had me at… :smiley:

quote:

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Wifey loves some mushrooms! My go to is grilled mushrooms and red bell peppers. On special occasions Ill cut both into shape of a heart, same size. Throw some gorgonzola or blue cheese in between em with the pepper on the top…guaranteed!!!

I like that idea of cutting them into hearts! If I did that, the wife’s antenna would go up, thinking I was up to something! She would probably be right:wink::imp:

quote:

Easy, I took it to 185. It wasnt dry. Wife took it to the office and they killed the thing, this was from Sunday.

oyster and juice, I usually do a basic salt pepper rub, wifey wanted something different. I usually use pecan for smoke. I like the mellow taste and I have free access to pecan.

Pippin, I had a small window and not what what needed for a whole so just cooked a flat. Do you glaze your burnt ends? I’ve had varying results and seemed to do about the same thing each time.

I don’t glaze them. I only glaze ribs and its a very light glaze. The hardest part in cooking brisket is that each one is so different in regards to cooking time. The injection and wrapping at 160 degrees method I learned while doing competition BBQ years ago. Your meat will only take so much smoke. Wrapping it helps get past the stall and to retain moisture.

Look up a good pastrami recipe… I tried on I found on Google and it was great!

Dang, that looks good! Excuse my ignorance but I’ve never cooked a brisket. It it the same cut of meat as a corned beef flat cut, or is it not corned (cured) like corn beef? I love corned beef!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

It isn’t cured like corned beef. Just a big slab of fat and tough meat. It has to be cooked at a low temp for 8 to 12 hours depending on the size. If you get it right, it’s wonderful. If you get it wrong, you can use it to patch tires.

oc

Larry, It’s the same cut of meat that they make corned beef out of! The only difference is, it’s not marinaded in the pickling spices! To bad you don’t live closer Larry. I’m cooking 2 corned beef flat cut’s this Sunday. My wife’s side of the family is Irish, so I cook it for them around St Paddy’s day! I’ll have enough leftovers to make Reuben sandwiches and corned beef hash for myself!

I cook a flat cut corned beef in the crock pot about once a month. Love those Reuben sandwiches!

I’ve never seen a brisket (un-pickled) in the stores around here. Need to find one and try that.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

On a Mission that looks great. Some good cooking. Briskets can be tough to pull off. I cooked a few of the flats from the grocery store and they came out dry. Then switched to the whole brisket like suggested above and its so much better. Only place I know of where to get the whole ones is Walmart. Did you smoke that okra, wonder how that would be in gumbo. The thought of corned beef hash, poached eggs, man oh man.:stuck_out_tongue:

Larry: You can usually find an untrimmed brisket at Wal Mart or Sam’s.

Thanks, maybe that’s why I haven’t seen any. Haven’t been in a Walmart in years.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Larry, Walmart only carries stuff from China! You’ll be eating a cross eyed cow, if you get a brisket from there :smiley:

I share the same opinion with Larry, can’t stand Walmart. However, they do carry the whole brisket. Went in with a coworker last week so he could pick one up. He buys them there all the time. I like to pick up a flat from Costco, personally.