Smokers........Not Cigs or Weed

I used to have a charcoal smoker and enjoyed it but, it was a pain to keep stoked and to keep the temperature constant. I have been looking at electric and propane smokers and both have their pros/cons. I like the idea of pretty much “setting & forgetting”. I’m looking for input/advice regarding electric and propane smokers so bring it on.

Thanks

My brother-in-law bought one from Sam’s last year around Christmas. I’m not sure of the make or model, but it’s electric and has a wireless thermometer that you stick in the meat while it’s cooking. It has Bluetooth and everything can be controlled from an app on his phone. It reads out temperature and he can turn the heat up or down accordingly, but mostly it’s just set it and forget it until it’s time to take it off. I was pretty skeptical at first, but after eating quite a few different things that came out of it, I’m a believer.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I used to be a traeger guy but they moved manufacturing over seas and the quality has tanked. I run a huge Smokin Brothers pellet smoker and love it. Its high quality materials that hold temp well. Its costly, but the best pellet fed on the market. I do still use my barrel smoker occasionally.

My father bought this one for himself to use out of town working…he then bought another for the house…which soon turned into one for me and one for my brother in law. These things are AWESOME! Basically it has 15 temp settings 1-15. Set cooking temp you want, set desired internal meat temperature and plug in the included meat thermometer. Fill smoke box with wood chips, and walk away from it. It will turn off when it’s done. It really is set and forget. We’ve cooked everything on them, from wings to briskets to butts to fish, even grilled steaks on one one time. The basket that’s included will hold a 18lb turkey.

http://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.H283607.html?item=H283607&ref=GBA&tpl=detail&cm_MMC=GOOGLESHOPPINGFEED--For+the+Home--Grills+%26+Smokers--Char-Broil+Big+Easy+Electric+Smoker&H283607-000-000&cvosrc=pla.google.&mkwid=sHB7xxTKe|dc_pcrid_85296191307_pkw__pmt&CAWELAID=120240770000478881&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=24630402987&CATCI=pla-158644989867

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I have a lp gas smoker I will give you,used it for 6 months and bought a BGE.Smoker is sitting under house,not used at all.

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

I have a lp gas smoker I will give you,used it for 6 months and bought a BGE.Smoker is sitting under house,not used at all.

Got a BGE from a safety award, small one. Finally smoked a ham on that bad boy for Christmas…HOLY COW!

I have not used my electric or gas smokers since the BGE.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Mr. Freedom I have an electric smoker that you put chunks of wood into and love it as well. It is so easy to produce great bbq with some practice and a little studying. You put a dry rub on meat, set the digital temperature, throw in a chunk of wood and your done. You can go to bed and not worry about it over cooking. Zero stress and no mess, and great results. I did quit a bit of researching read a few good bbq books and they recommended the cook shack smoker. They are built like tanks. Heavy duty high quality made in the USA. They are thick metal, heavy duty hinges, everything is built “super” strong. I bought my in 2009 and 0 problems whatsoever. Not a speck of rust on it after 7 yrs. Great for home use, not big enough for commercial purposes, but commercial tough. I easily cook bbq for 15-20 people with no problem. Butts or briskets over night, then put in ribs in the morning. They have many sizes but the small one is fine for home use, check out there site Cook Shack. I’ll send a couple of pics in a moment. Happy smoking Mr. Freedom.

I prefer charcoal. The electrics are good, but the amount of work that goes into my meats on the charcoal smoker really show through in the result. It has to be something you really enjoy doing, not just a means to an end. I actually enjoy the 10-12 hours of preparing the meat than I do eating it. If you aren’t interested in the hobby of smoking, a set it and forget it unit will be the trick.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Here are pics.

Masterbuilt electric smoker with amaze n pellet tray work great Google for info.

2006 Pro Line 17 Sport Honda 90

I bought one of these Green Mountain Grills, Davey Crocket model and love it!! It is a pellet smoker, so you can fill it with whatever flavor of pellets you want to use or mix pettets for the perfect flavor. This model is their tailgate model. It runs off of 12volts and can be used virtually anywhere. You can plug it into a cigerette lighter on your car and cook for hours. Since it uses so little power, you can still crank up and drive home. I use a boat battery most of the time. It comes with a power cord, battery clamp addapter and a household 110v adapter. It’s cooking surface is pretty small. It will do about 8 hamburgers at a time, but can cook 2 whole butts at once also. A 20# bag of pellets run about $18 and you can cook 2 butts for about 10 hours on aprox 2 pounds of pellets, so real efficient. If you get the Wi-Fi version, you can write grilling profiles and send them to the smoker to run. I ofter cook butts overnight. Once they are on, I don’t have to touch it again until it is done.

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

I don’t have much experience with gas or electric skmokers. I had a new Braunsfel charcoal smoker for years and you have to baby it. A couple of years I bought a Backwoods Smoker and love it! I can load it with 8lbs of charcoal and not have to touch it again for 10-12 hours, except to add water once for that time period. Churns out some good q!

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Here’s the one my brother-in-law has. It’s pretty friggin awesome, sit on the couch inside and check on your cooking with out ever getting up.

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/40-inch-electric-smoker-with-bluetooth-by-masterbuilt/prod15560335

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Thanks for the offer of the smoker Poly, I live in Columbia and am not sure when I will be heading back that way. I think I have forgtten how to fish. Thanks for all the input, seems I have a lot to think about.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

If DFreedom isn’t interested in the propane smoker, I wouldn’t mind picking it up if the offer stands…

Southern Comfort

I would gladly accept your generous offer but as I said, I’m in Columbia. If you are looking to get rid of it, it would not hurt my feelings if you gave it to SC.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I got a digital elec Bradley from a buddy last year. Load it up - set smoke time - set heat/time - forgetaboutit. Works great and as close to fool proof as you can get. Pretty easy to clean - you just got to buy those wood chip pucks to feed it. They easy to use and many kinds/flavors. I love mine. I just get carried away every time I use it cause I feel I just have to fill it up.

J Ford