Smokers!!!

I am looking to buy my first smoker. I have used an offset charcoal smoker before with success but am no smoking expert. So what’s the deal? Whats the best? I really don’t want to get the one that you have to buy the biscuits for. I see prices anywhere between $99 and $400. I really don’t want want to get a counter top (plug and play) model. More like something that I can put under the shade tree and babysit all day while drinking tea and hanging out with my family.

Offset or vertical?
Electric, Charcoal, or Propane?

Hints, Tips, Tricks?

I appreciate all ■■■■■■■■.

Narcosis

I use the Brinkman smoke’n’grill,usually they are around 50.00 and I get about 2 years use out of it.

Double D.

Depends on what you are smoking…

I like the offset charcoal type for most things.

Hints, tips, tricks… Buy meat, smoke meat, repeat… :slight_smile:

Offset gives you better control on cooler temps, imo. especially spring/fall when there can be a 20-25 degree swing in outdoor temp throughout your cook.

I dont like the babysit part (bugs + sunburn) so I bought an electric one. Holds temp +/- 5 degrees and I am not so worried to leave it for a while

cookshack makes some nice ones. set the temp, put in the probe. when its done, it will reduce the temp and let it simmer down until you are ready to remove the meat.

Nothing beats the flavor of charcoal for smoking. I grill on propane but smoke with charcoal. I prefer offset for larger quantities. What and how much(lbs) are you planning on smoking? To do smaller quantities for just the wife and I, I have a smoker built out of a stainless keg and it is perfect.

Carolina Skiff J14, 25 Merc
Hydra-Sports 1800cc, 150 Johnson

I have used one of those $180 Char Griller barrel grills from lowes for going on 10 years now with their side fire box. With a few tweaks, and some temperature propes it has made some killer bbq and drunken chickens over the years.

My next big grill purchase will likely be a Big Green Egg and a big Weber propane grill though. Figure after those I won’t be grill purchasing for another 25 years.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I have two offsets (both old/rehabs) stick burners- horizontal and a vertical, both New Braunfels - the vertical is the classic “Bandera”. Nothing cooks like a stick burner, nor does anything burn as much fuel or require as much babysitting…

For ease of use and decent flavor, a Weber Smoky Mountain will do, $300+/-. Fill bottom with charcoal and wood chips, set it and forget it for 6-8 hours. You wont get as deep of a smoke flavor as a stick burner, but they are much easier to use, and use 1/8 the fuel.

Same goes for a Big Green Egg - $$$$, but will smoke for 12+ hours and can grill up to 800 degrees.

I just did a 12 hour smoke on my vertical offset (Bandera)- 2 8# butts, 3 racks of ribs, sausage and sweet taters… finally got it dialed in for temp control, it takes a few runs to get it right… went thru 25#'s of lump charcoal, 2 bags of hickory chunks (not chips), and 5# of kingsford to get it started. It needed attention/fuel every hour. But the que is second to none.

$400 won’t get you a good offset - they need to be heavy and well built, over 1k for one that will hold temps and not leak like crazy. I got my old school Bandera for $80 on craigslist… the new ones are junk at $400.

I like my big ugly drum smoker (can find lots of plans on-line). Cheap, ugly, DIY, but smokes well.

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

I used New braunsfel vertical smoker for years and it cooks some good stuff! A couple years ago I got a backwoods party and haven’t looked back. Can do 12 butts or as small as a couple pieces of chicken in it. Take out water pan and heat diverter and use it as a grill. Will run at 275 for 8 hours on 8lbs charcoal.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

I’ve got a Master Forge Propane from Lowes. Cheap ~$150, easy to assemble, very little babysitting required and wood chips give good smoke flavor. A basic, easy to use starter unit that will last ~ 3 years. Then wehen you get addicted to smoking, you can decide on the big ticket Smoker models later. Just my $.02.

Jay
Pheonix 29 Sportfish (Lagniappe)
Shamrock 20 Cuddy (Cuda Catcher)
Key West 1520 Explorer (Baby Boat)

I use a Char-Griller Akorn 20-in Kamado Charcoal Grill / smoker. Holds temp well for smoking and grills perfect. Just add the grilling stone to deflect the heat and your off like a pro.