Smoking at the gas pumps

quote:
Originally posted by resq036

I used to put out cigs in a 5 gallon bucket with gas

I think you should explain this before you get someone blow’d up. A 5 gallon bucket of gas filed to the top of the bucket has no room for vapors and you’d best not be down wind with your heat source. Trying to stick a lit cigarette into a portable 5 gallon gas container that is not full to the spout will have vapors, just as a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 inch from the top would have 1/2" of vapors. You know the “trick”, suggesting a cigarette won’t blow up gas to someone that does not know how to do it is reckless.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by DrumReaper

Buhaha… What color did Boobies and OFM take and then I’ll make my choice…*

The are 80%'ers for sure...
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by DrumReaper

Buhaha… What color did Boobies and OFM take and then I’ll make my choice…*

The are 80%'ers for sure...

Bless their hearts*…

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

quote:
Originally posted by claim
quote:

I used to put out cigs in a 5 gallon bucket with gas

I think you should explain this before you get someone blow’d up. A 5 gallon bucket of gas filed to the top of the bucket has no room for vapors and you’d best not be down wind with your heat source. Trying to stick a lit cigarette into a portable 5 gallon gas container that is not full to the spout will have vapors, just as a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 inch from the top would have 1/2" of vapors. You know the “trick”, suggesting a cigarette won’t blow up gas to someone that does not know how to do it is reckless.

Wasn’t trying to be reckless. Just stating that it is not as dangerous as posted. It all relates to PPM. Parts per million. If you have an atmosphere that has enough ppm’s of gas vapors, a spark will set it off. NORMALLY an open fueling station does not have enough concentration of vapors for ignition to occur. It is far more dangerous to fill a can while it is still in the vehicle, or to get in and out of your vehicle while pumping fuel. Static is much more likely to cause an explosion than a cigarette. Also with the 5 gallon bucket I only had about a gallon of gas in it.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

G. perry pickering

Also CLAIM. I stated in my post that I was teaching rookie firefighters. I used to do this to show them how gas reacts to different situations to let them know when to bail out or when to stay and fight. I in no way endorsed someone who does not know any better to try this.

G. perry pickering

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

Throwing a lit cigarette on a fire</font id=“red”>

KABOOM!!! Mushroom cloud!!! Would never want to fight fire with fire!!!

Just kidding… I think you meant in liquid gasoline…

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

Throwing a lit cigarette on a fire</font id=“red”>

KABOOM!!! Mushroom cloud!!! Would never want to fight fire with fire!!!

Just kidding… I think you meant in liquid gasoline…

hah yeah oops…throwing a lit cigarette on a fire would mean…the same fire.

quote:

Wasn’t trying to be reckless. Just stating that it is not as dangerous as posted. It all relates to PPM. Parts per million. If you have an atmosphere that has enough ppm’s of gas vapors, a spark will set it off. NORMALLY an open fueling station does not have enough concentration of vapors for ignition to occur. It is far more dangerous to fill a can while it is still in the vehicle, or to get in and out of your vehicle while pumping fuel. Static is much more likely to cause an explosion than a cigarette. Also with the 5 gallon bucket I only had about a gallon of gas in it.

G. perry pickering

Well I know that you can put out a match or cigarette in gas, but I’d never do it because I’m worried about getting that heat source to hit that gasoline vapor in a bad kind of way. I know you know how to do the bucket of gas thing without blowing up. Saying it can be done may encourage some dunderhead to give it a go, that’s all I’m saying.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by claim
quote:

G. perry pickering

Well I know that you can put out a match or cigarette in gas</font id=“red”>, but I’d never do it because I’m worried about getting that heat source to hit that gasoline vapor in a bad kind of way. I know you know how to do the bucket of gas thing without blowing up. Saying it can be done may encourage some dunderhead to give it a go, that’s all I’m saying.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

You definitely are not going to put out a match in gas. Period.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I am living proof that you can do a number of terribly stupid things and somehow escape permanent harm.

I would not encourage it.

I move to set forth this decree -

1. Extinguishing cigarettes, bottle rockets, matches, flamewars, or nuclear warheads in large volumes of highly flammable volatile liquids is generally discouraged by the supervising safety board of charlestonfishing.com

2. Regardless if it is determined to be more safe by some objective standard than we would otherwise assume, waggling flaming sticks out of your mouths while you are handling volatile liquids is an unnecessary risk to those around you and may rightfully be frowned upon by the general public.

Any dissenters?

quote:
Any dissenters?

That sums it up pretty good. In the right conditions 1 cup of gasoline has the explosive power of 1 stick of dynamite.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

This thread is completely off the charts…

resq036 is telling how he teaches rookies by throwing lit cigs on gas. :question:

Forest gump summed it up…“stupid is as stupid does”.

Anyone even remotely suggesting smoking around a gas pump is ok is just… stupid.

Chill out Fred. I never said that it was ok to smoke while pumping gas. I just stated that it was not as dangerous as most people believe. Also while showing that to rookie firefighters it would be done in a controlled environment where the danger was minimal. If comprehension isn’t your strong point I will type slower for you.

G. perry pickering

Ok, I dare someone to put a gallon of gas in a 5 gallon bucket. put a lid on it with a 4" hole, toss your cig in it. Lets see how it wont catch on fire then… :smiley:
have someone gopro it so we can remember you.

What about lighting up your cigarette at the gas station with a conventional lighter while you are pumping? We’ve only talked about cigs that are already lit… Does anyone want to try that?

Don’t forget the video for Youtube and the catch phrase, “Hey y’all, watch this”.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

The problem comes when lighting a cigarette in the presence of gasoline fumes. A lit cigarette isn’t hot enough to ignite the fumes in most instances. I’m not saying it won’t happen, but it is unlikely. Sparks equals fire, embers most of the time won’t do anything. Check YouTube, there are tons of videos already and no one on here needs to get burned trying to prove a point. I definitely don’t recommend trying it.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I get where Fred67 is coming from, but the topic in general is why chumps get stupid and do what is blatantly hazardous for innocents around them.

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

quote:

Chill out Fred. I never said that it was ok to smoke while pumping gas. I just stated that it was not as dangerous as most people believe. Also while showing that to rookie firefighters it would be done in a controlled environment where the danger was minimal. If comprehension isn’t your strong point I will type slower for you.

G. perry pickering

Type slow or type fast, I could care less. That won’t change the way I comprehend that you stated that you throw lit cigarettes in a bucket of gas for your rookie firemen. I always thought firemen were all about safety? Then maybe you have all your rookie firemen totally suited out while you do it?? To me that sounds like a backyard red neck experiment. “Hey Bo, What this!”

My comprehension has been bad before on others written posts, so maybe it was bad with you. I just don’t see a fireman showing rookie firemen that lit cigarettes are not dangerous. Could be wrong, but I’d say most firemen would agree that throwing a lit cigarette in a bucket of gas is an UN-safe practice. Do you agree?

By the way, my Uncle was killed while fueling his tractor. They say when he lit his pipe it ignited the vapors.

Check this one out: dude lites wife on fire at gas station…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m73u07uVyOo