Smoking at the gas pumps

What’s up with the brazen idiots smoking at the pumps? I got into with someone today cause he wanted to get out of the car in which his buddy was pumping gas, walk across the pumps and to a friend to talk while wielding a lit cigarette…

I guess some people just don’t get it…

The Darwin principle. Stay away. Very far away. Hopefully they weed themselves out of the gene pool :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I’ve come to the believe that most people are stupid. 80-20 rule… But there are those that are just plain idiots…

I hate to tell you this, but you can throw a lit cigarette in an open bucket of gasoline and it’ll just put it out. You are 1000 times more likely to start a fire with a static spark on a cold dry day than with a lit cigarette. That being said, I’m still not going to smoke around the pumps.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

A very good friend’s daughter was very severely burned by a lit cigarette that ignited a 5 gal can of gas while attempting to fill a vehicle. In this case a careless mistake that was devastating. She is still recovering and it was a very long road to where she is now, and very lucky to have survived. I only wish such people could hear her story and they would never do such a dangerous thing.

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
President, Summerville Saltwater Anglers

Well put, Optiker…

Skinnee, Lol, I haven’t heard that in a long while… Please give us your 80/20 definition.

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

Transporting a metal gas can in the back of your pickup that has a plastic bedliner (not the spray in type) The gas can may build up a static charge that, if not removed and placed on the ground to discharge, could discharge, spark, when nozzle touches it.

A link below if interested:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-111/

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:
Originally posted by DrumReaper

Well put, Optiker…

Skinnee, Lol, I haven’t heard that in a long while… Please give us your 80/20 definition.

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

Drum, if I tell you about this, it is going to change the way you see the world... Most people are just better off not knowing...

Be sure to choose wisely:

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

I hate to tell you this, but you can throw a lit cigarette in an open bucket of gasoline and it’ll just put it out. You are 1000 times more likely to start a fire with a static spark on a cold dry day than with a lit cigarette. That being said, I’m still not going to smoke around the pumps.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Not everything on YouTube is real.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Not everything on YouTube is real.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

I have seen that done with diesel fuel..not sure about gasoline.

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

It is the vapors that are flammable. The liquid is not. I have put a cig out in a bucket of gas. You have to make sure no spark happens.

Umm, you gonna eat that?

Thousands have died to save my freedom. Only one has died to save my soul!

quote:
Originally posted by jstrange

It is the vapors that are flammable. The liquid is not. I have put a cig out in a bucket of gas. You have to make sure no spark happens.

Umm, you gonna eat that?

Thousands have died to save my freedom. Only one has died to save my soul!

I'm not even going to ask why... Wait a minute, yes I am.

I used to put out cigs in a 5 gallon bucket with gas in it to show my rookie fireman that it would not explode. In 24 years as a FF I saw about 12 fires from static while filling containers in the back of a Car/Truck. Fires from smoking while pumping…zero.

G. perry pickering

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

Well put, Optiker…

Drum, if I tell you about this, it is going to change the way you see the world... Most people are just better off not knowing...

Be sure to choose wisely:

Buhaha… What color did Boobies and OFM take and then I’ll make my choice…*

quote:
Originally posted by resq036

I used to put out cigs in a 5 gallon bucket with gas in it to show my rookie fireman that it would not explode. In 24 years as a FF I saw about 12 fires from static while filling containers in the back of a Car/Truck. Fires from smoking while pumping…zero.

G. perry pickering

So, you endorse smoking at the pumps?

I fill plastic gas can in the back of my truck with a plastic bed liner. Guess I should be more careful

quote:
quote:

G. perry pickering

No. Just stating facts.

G. perry pickering

quote:
quote:
quote:

G. perry pickering

No. Just stating facts.

G. perry pickering

I respect that... but should that be the case, why do they place signs at the pump that say "NO SMOKING"? Seems that what they know is contra to your facts?

Seriously, I don’t think this has anything to do with anyone sitting at the pump and tossing lit cigarettes into buckets of gasoline… I think it has more to do with the ignition point of gasoline vapors being lower than that of liquid gasoline… what say ye?

The spark or flame ignites the vapors that come off gasoline which then ignites the liquid with explosive effects. Because you never had a fire from a cigarette or spark only means that the heat source never happened to come into contact with the volatile vapors.

Most of us know how dangerous it is to throw gas onto a fire, but many kids and adults do not know this. I once did a claim where a kid tried to pour gas onto a burning trash pile and his gas can exploded and caught his pants on fire. By the time the father got to the boy, his skin had melted off of his legs and had fallen down to his ankles like his pair of pants. I did another claim were a grown man threw gas onto a burn pile and he suffered severe burns, so it’s just not kids that does not know that it’s the vapors that ignite and rapidly become volatile and explosive.

Don’t mess with gas. Warn anyone you can.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Throwing a lit cigarette on a fire is a totally different story then taking a long hard drag on one with fumes in the area.