snapper mower transmission/axle question

My snapper is 11 years old, model is RP2167517bv. walk behind, self propelled.
standing behind the mower it looks like the shaft that comes out of the transmission has twisted itself off on the mower right side where the shaft goes through the frame bearing that holds this shaft (about 3 inches from the transmission itself). It looks OK where it goes into the transmission.
this is a short axle on the right side, maybe 3 inches long, the wheel slips on its end and wheel is held on by a nut. the shaft is round but has two long flat sections on it.
Do the shafts pull out of the transmission? can I order a new shaft? I can not find any info on the web about the transmission and these shafts? does anyplace repair them?
Thanks

I am sure you can find a local shop to repair it. Corky’s or the True Value on James Island for instance. Or you can try to find what you need online. Here is a potential location for you.

http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a21/Lawn-Mower-Parts

You may also try and search the manufacturers website. But be wary, part of Snapper was bought up by MTD (Murray) who just slaps the Snapper name brand one one of their mowers.

Good luck

j

quote:
Originally posted by edwardh1

…Do the shafts pull out of the transmission? can I order a new shaft? I can not find any info on the web about the transmission and these shafts? does anyplace repair them?
Thanks

I think 100 percent of the time; the shafts are one piece. The fact that it twisted off means that not just the shaft needs to be replaced but the whole transmission. That's not necessarily a bad thing. If you want to repair the mower yourself, eBay sells those transmissions all day long. If you add labor... buy a new mower.

“Ask Corky’s or True Value” was a great answer by jisuho. But, for your problem, parts+labor will be greater than a new mower, even though it’s a Snapper.

My John Deere walk behind mower that is almost identical to your Snapper was dead in the water. Corky’s gave me the (used) repair part for free. It was just a used clutch spring. By the way, I have ZERO connection with Corky’s.

I bet I can send you some YouTube links on the typical lawnmower transmission if you want. I think every lawnmower uses one or the other of the only two transmissions that are maked. PM me if you want the links.

Sadly if you had noticed the axle bearings were failing this would not have happened. I have had a snapper walk behind since 1981. Replaced the engine in 2005 as well as various bearings and belts over time as they wore out but the transmission will still pull me up a hill.