So whats the best bearing grease for the trailer??

Wanna make sure I’m using the best available as I drag a boat back and forth 150 miles each way pretty regular.

I picked up some Lucas Red “N” Tacky from Advance Auto. Somehow the color red is in my head from another thread. On grease, not neck[:0]…

I want to use it all around, lawn mower blade spindles, Yamaha outboard, etc…

Thanks All,
NN

The stuff I have used for years is Lucas Marine grease and it is blue. I just re-lubed my bearings and came back from a 900+ mile round trip. Same stuff I’ve used for 10+ tows to the Keys, never had an issue.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Red and Tacky. 12,000 miles in 16 months. Bearings are fine. Replacing the seals. Not saying it’s the best. I’m sure there is better. Bearings ordered from Bearing Industries knowing I wanted a better bearing due to distance and type of travel.

Hope this helps.

Pep Boys Salt Water rated wheel bearing grease
Its a blue grease.

The red grease makes it easy to see on the wheels if the seals leaking.

Fishing the beaches, Bays & Ocean of Wildwood/Cape May, NJ
Soon a resident of Georgetown, SC

I think a fist fight nearly broke out on this very topic several years ago.

I’ll need a real professional to come on here and tell me there’s a difference between regular grease and Marine Grease. And none of those pretend experts like 23 or DF.

the best kind of grease is the kind that you remember to put in the bearings regularly.

Lucas xtra heavy duty, its green. I am using it in fertilizer every day and went from replacing 2-3 bearings a week to 2-3 a year . I’ve have yet to burn up a bearing on a trailer we’ve repacked with it.

Hey Ricky, someone needs a late night visit.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Mystic jt-6 awesome stuff!

-Regulator 28fs
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

I hate these type of threads. I’m always afraid that as soon as I say something good that mine will break. So… I’m with pod here. I’ve always used grease that’s available. Weather it’s marine grease or not. I’m sure there is something to the new grease. With that much testing you would think it would be better grease.

Another question bears answering re:'bearing … does anyone or everyone use " bearing buddies" to protect those bearings with your favorite grease?

Thanks

2015 201 Bay Scout
150 Yamaha

quote:
Originally posted by Flat Fly n

Another question bears answering re:'bearing … does anyone or everyone use " bearing buddies" to protect those bearings with your favorite grease?

Bearing buddies are great. They apply positive preasure inside the hub keeping water out. If you add them to hubs with a couple years on them, change the inner seals or you WILL have some nasty, greasy wheels. They are kinda messy anyway, some grease does seep out. “Green Grease” is all I’ve ever used…good stuff.

Schaffers

Tall Sail Marine

Royal Purple.

Had a lot of trouble with bearing buddys unless you install them on a new hub you will throw them off before 100 miles! Learned the hard way!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Had a lot of trouble with bearing buddys unless you install them on a new hub you will throw them off before 100 miles! Learned the hard way!

Bearing buddies are good, but what a lot of people don’t do is turn the outer seal backwards. It is a lip seal that is designed to keep grease in. Turn it backwards with the bearing buddies and it will allow new grease to be pushed through the hub. Sure you’ll get a little grease on the back side of the rim… but no big deal.

As to the best Grease!! I think this one comes around once a year! A good NLG 2 molly ep in our temperatures. What I think is really good is Allstar Timken ALL78241 wheel bearing grease if you can find it. After that Lucas Marine (blue) is about as good as it gets… better than the lucas red n tacky. (which is good too) IMO.

“Why Bruce?”

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

I think a fist fight nearly broke out on this very topic several years ago.

I’ll need a real professional to come on here and tell me there’s a difference between regular grease and Marine Grease. And none of those pretend experts like 23 or DF.

pea pop… not a professional but, but been around it very much. Lubrication’s are very confusing and proprietary.

I could send you to some excavators that constantly work in and underwater (the boom and bucket) . Cat sells a special purpose grease (as do other companies) and if it or it’s equivalent is not used it is amazing how quick you have pin and bushing wear due to grease “wash out”. Used to be many liked lithium based grease around water, but it just does not hold up to water wash out. Also don’t use lithium based grease on the steering cable or center section.

Marine labeled greases are aluminum or calcium based thickeners…which are much more water resistant than a lithium complex grease…regardless of being labeled as “Marine” or not.

“Why Bruce?”