Solar Panels?

Anyone have installed recently? If so, Pros and cons.

Thanks.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

In Columbia, it seems like the Solar companies have been all over. I’ve had two come to my door. They couldn’t understand why I’m not interested in door-to-door salesmen selling solar panels. From the little I have researched, I would have to stay in my house quite some time to recoup the initial costs. I can’t stand how they look so I didn’t spend a great deal of time looking into them. Blueskyguy is an “energy” guy, maybe he has some good info.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

They claim a 6 year payback with the energy savings and buy back credits. However, they cost about $40k so I don’t see how the break even could be 6 years. I call BS on the whole setup.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Same here. The wife let some jackleg salesman convince her it would be a good idea. I tend to think otherwise, but would like to hear someone with first hand experience.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I can’t see that happening in 6 years! Especily with cost of natural gas coming down over the next decade! 40 K seams a lot to outfit your home with solar panels and control box, look like a lot of built in commision!

Last I checked into it the payback (with no needed repairs) was closer to the 16-18 year range. From what I gather if you are a wealthy person and just want to spend some money to go “green” (with the processes in manufacture green is debatable) go for it.

I’ll wager in another 10 years the cost will come down and more efficient solar panels along with Battery banks might make them more attractive and worth while. :question:

“Why Bruce?”

Can’t use battery banks according the salesman in SC. Against the law. All excess power has to route back to the electric company.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I’d be more inclined to go with something like this:

http://smartflowersolar.com/

Far less obtrusive and costs less.

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Can’t use battery banks according the salesman in SC. Against the law. All excess power has to route back to the electric company.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

did not know that. I heard that the power company is required to “buy back” any excess?

Wonder why we can not use battery banks?

“Why Bruce?”

I’m gonna wait until Elon Musk perfects the Powerwall…

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

That's pretty sad that our government will legislate against us producing and living off of our own power. Monopolistic practice! Living off the grid is the only benefit I see right now for solar (if it were legal).
quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I’m gonna wait until Elon Musk perfects the Powerwall…

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

I’m waiting until they come out with the solar speedo that can produce power while I am sitting on the back deck in the afternoon sun.

Thaught your back porch was in the shade!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Thaught your back porch was in the shade!

It is. That’s why I wear my Speedo on the deck and not the porch!

From the little bit I know, the door to door salesmen are pushing equipment “leases” of sorts. Basically you pay a “reduced” light bill…

What it sounds like is they put THEIR equipment on your roof, and you pay a percentage of your previous bill. Not sure about the details, but that’s the gist according to a brief google search of a company I saw in my hood…can’t remember the name.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Solar is great technology for heating water. It has a ways to go before it is a good source for mass electrical production.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

Check what it will cost for shingle (or any other roof) replacement if you have solar panels installed… Good luck on that payback!

-Regulator 28fs
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

They make you put a new roof on if you don’t have at least 10 years life left on it.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Think Fred has it about right, 16=18 yrs. Could be shorter if prices rise rapidly. I am pleased with mine but not the best investment. Best investment was the extra 10" insulation, foil on rafters and solar attic fan. That made huge difference!

Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

I was also told that putting panels on a new roof may void any roof warranty. Not seeing any real upside. I’ll wait for something more attractive, less obtrusive and more profitable.