Some insight into our fisheries battle

This is a dialog that a NC commercial fisherman started with PEW.

http://www.freefish7.com/pew-discussion.html

It may be overwhelming, but you will understand a lot more about what is going on if you find time to read this and think about it.

www.scmarine.org

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

That was one hell of a read. I would need to go back over it again with a highlighter and take some notes but the questions I have lie in the area of size limits vs keeping the first fish you catch until your limit has been met.

I understand that when fishing in deeper water you will have the death of bycatch because of decompression so a way to prevent this is to keep the first fish over the rail until your limit is met and this will reduce the bycatch mortality.

However, it is possible you will be killing fish that have yet to spawn. Most of the time a size limit is in place to allow a fish to reach a certain size/age in order to allow it to run through a certain number of breeding cycles.

How do you balance allowing a fish to reach a certain age to breed with keeping all deep-water species that are caught?

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.

• More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

I think the data on deep water fish is WRONG!! Look at a chart - There is so much more deep water than shallow (less than 240’) We only bottom fish a tiny portion of the deep areas

Man that is a lot to digest. It seems Pew is trying to play nice in some instances. I don’t know how anyone could be against more habitat. That seems foolish. I believe we as a society need to turn to aquaculture on a whole. We will get to the point where no matter what the limits are, the Ocean won’t be able to sustain the demand, and keep these people happy. Many of these commercial guys could transition into this field. There are miles and miles of ocean that could be utilized without hurting fishing.

Thank you for posting that, and thank you for your advocacy. What an enlightening read. I know I am being cynical, but there was far too much common sense in that dialogue for regulators and legislators to fathom.

Keep it Awesome!!!

Chris and I are friends, and have talked at length about our failing fisheries management. I have invited him to come and join CF.

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Lots of info there. Hopefully, eventually we can get accurate data of fish stocks to use rather than extrapolation and guessing. Even though the areas are somewhat similar and fish can move, I think there is a clear difference between fishing in NC and SC, as compared to southern Florida. The access to habitat and days fished are much greater in Southern Florida. Thanks for the post and your work Phin.

Thank you for inviting me to join sellsfish. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about my discussion with PEW.

quote:
Originally posted by Redstripe

Man that is a lot to digest. It seems Pew is trying to play nice in some instances. I don’t know how anyone could be against more habitat. That seems foolish. I believe we as a society need to turn to aquaculture on a whole. We will get to the point where no matter what the limits are, the Ocean won’t be able to sustain the demand, and keep these people happy. Many of these commercial guys could transition into this field. There are miles and miles of ocean that could be utilized without hurting fishing.

FYI,
I’m working on an aquaculture bill now. I believe that aquaculture could be BIG for SC. We need to place this squarely in the hands of the Department of Agriculture, rather than DNR. Regulatory authority shall still be vested with DNR, but the promotion and sell of saltwater species shall be managed by Dept. of Agriculture. We need to start looking at utilizing these great resources we have, ie., the salt marshes, the estuaries, the ocean. With the right nurturing and care, we (SC) could take our consumption of asian species and drop it dramatically. In fact, we could actually become an exporter with the vast resources we have. I’ll let everyone know when this bill takes further shape.

Stephen Goldfinch
“Sleep When You’re Dead!”

Those salt marshes, estuaries and oceans need to stay salt marshes, estuaries and oceans. I personally will not support fish farms.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.

• More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

Aquaculture puts more of our commercial sector out of business,and some say the Asian tiger shrimp that are eating the native white and brown shrimp,are a result of shrimp farms.

I think it really depends on what we consider “aquaculture”… Are we talking about aquaculture for the purpose of “re-stocking”, or are we talking about actual farms (like catfish ponds for commercial sale and consumption)?

So Yellabird, you think saltwater aquaculture could be BIG for SC? Do you remember all the salt/brackish aquaculture attempts in SC that went bust in the 1980s? One hell of a lot of “sure fire plans” went down the tubes.

Do you know about the problems of disease, invasive species, contaminated genetics of wild populations, etc. etc. etc?

The devil will of course be in the details, but it would be a tough proposition to implement the panacea you seem to have in mind for SC WITHOUT drastically lowering standards and causing a lot of harm to existing fisheries, commercial fishing efforts, recreational fishing, etc.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul is never a good idea!

Also - you say that “Regulatory authority shall still be vested with DNR” but if their hands are tied by cockeyed legislation, that doesn’t really matter…

There are new ways that are being pioneered to grow fish that mitigates many of the negative aspects. These include growing fish in offshore pens where the wast can be carried away by strong ocran currents. Invasive species can be stopped by growing sterlie fish. I think its short sighted to not at least try it on a small scale and see how if works. There are many instances such as oysters and clams where it is working here in the USA. Long term we are going to have to suplement what comes from the ocean.

Offshore pens? Are you kidding?

File that one under disease - that can infect wild populations. As a result of the disease problem: enjoy those antibiotics in your fish…

You mention oysters and clams - no need for new legislation to enable that…

offshore pens are why we havent caught YFT’s in a long time.

I’m not referring to the Tuna Herders. They farm cobia in offshore pens in multiple places. They are offshore where the current dilutes the waste. The article I read said it is so inconsequential that it doesn’t even effect nearby coral colonies. But yeah…we should probably never try anything new to help offset the skyrocketing demand for seafood. They used to say bad things about people that cut down trees, and tree farming is as green a practice as there is.

Gents, I’m not referring to creating pens or ponds, though those do serve a purpose. I’m referring to taking our current system and recreating it. Right now, DNR is overworked and many of our seafood dealers/seafood alliance guys believe that DNR’s involvement in the promotion and sell of wild local marine species is akin to the fox guarding the hen house. This bill would place the promotion and sell of those saltwater species in the hands of the Dept. of Ag. We could be utilizing these marsh, estuary and ocean species much more efficiently under the Dept. of Ag. Of course, some of y’all (seafood alliance) are the ones who have been asking for this, and the ones affected, so tell me if you think. If you don’t like it, I wont do it. That simple.

Stephen Goldfinch
“Sleep When You’re Dead!”

quote:
Originally posted by Bolbie

offshore pens are why we havent caught YFT’s in a long time.

They don’t pen YFT’s on the East coast, only BFT’s in the Southern Ocean off Australia

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
Originally posted by NativeSon

Offshore pens? Are you kidding?

File that one under disease - that can infect wild populations. As a result of the disease problem: enjoy those antibiotics in your fish…

You mention oysters and clams - no need for new legislation to enable that…

Maybe 25 years ago your fears would be justified. The offshore and inshore aquaculture farms are booming! Look at Kona Kampachi (Almaco Jacks) farmed off of Hawaii, one of the nicest, cleanest operations in the world. Cobia in Panama, Redfish in Texas, or even the “Palmetto Bass” farmed here in SC. Our shellfish farms are doing great, and most people haven’t got a clue as to how many clam and oyster operations are already in SC. Clammer Dave, Capt. Harry, Pearlz, The Livingstons, Carl Depace all have very profitable shellfish operations.