Some Yellow fin got caught Monday

Unfortunately not first hand info, but I’ve seen the evidence and talked to the horse. roughly 60 miles slightly North of Charleston. They had another friend that had taken one a week prior. They decided to target Wahoo with hopes of getting one. They got two. 60-70lbs. No wahoo, 11 nice dolphin and one bull that was 58lb.

2 Likes

Good to hear. Yellowfin are not loners. It’s been 19 years!

1 Like

There were a few caught on this side of the stream last year as well. Who knows maybe they’ll make a return in numbers sometime soon. I’ve heard a lot of speculation, but it would be nice to know the real reason they moved away from our side of the stream.

I do know that they follow their food and it’s not so much flying fish

When they were here in large numbers the fish were in the 35 to 45 lb range and when we got home to the cleaning table their bellies were packed with these small squid about 4” long. There were some flying fish but it was mostly those small squid. By the time we opened their bellies the squid were pale white but squid can be any color they want

Cool info Nature boy. Can’t argue that a predator will follow a food source. I’m gonna ask tomorrow if they checked stomach content. Growing up that was one of the first things dad did when butchering/ cleaning a fish.

1 Like

I really loved bottom fishing much more than trolling and when I was actively running trolling charters if nothing was happening on the surface sometimes I would park the boat next to a well formed weed line and put lines down at different depths. Starting with the outriggers at about 100’ or so the corners at around 200’ And a way back suspended from a balloon around 300’ deep. It was surprising how many mahi we would catch at 100’ from the riggers. Occasionally we would catch a big wahoo from the corners. If we were in 300’ or less we would often catch cobia , and those offshore cobia are full grown the cobia. We’re always caught on large rigged squid and every time we cut their belly open it would be full of octopuses!

3 Likes

Great report Nature.

Thanks.