Sometimes you just got to hold that mouth just right!

Slipped out after work and looked forward to fishing alone in search of some tailers. Found 6 and sealed the deal with 1 at 22". Never spooked any if the fish and presented them with 5 plus perfect casts with a fiddler imitation artie that every fish would nose it on every cast but none would commit…so i had a xmas mystery lure tied on that worked back in the spring and sure enough it didn’t take but 1 look and she gone!!! The other 5 got out of casting distance and into unfishable grass before swapping rods. I really wanted a bite off that fiddler artie!

1 Like

Excellent! I’ve had the same issue lately. Nothing really interested in the fly. At least not aggressively. I go all the time. Let me know if you wanna tag up some time and fish together.

What water are you usually fishing?

23sail i was dabbling in the Wando this evening…these flats have been getting hit hard for the past 5 years. Poled past 3 boats this evening 1 blind casting with flies and the other 2 with spinning tackle. Everyone has a poling platform nowadays…but that won’t always get you in casting distance in those heavy boats. I was gliding in 6 inches if water for about a mile. Enough water to keep a red safe from most…and then me and the ol’ gheenoe showed up!

awesome report!

Now that August is here, I’m going to start exploring new flats with the aim of getting away from people. Even if I have to drive an extra 20 minutes, I miss the days of having flats to yourself. I learned to fly fish in the salt 15-18 years ago over behind Sullivan’s where there was considerable traffic then, but at least you could be alone on a flat during the week. Nowadays, there are so many people doing it, its hard to get in much quality time without having people on top of you. Not blaming them; its fun and I love it too. I just don’t love all the competition.

That’s part of the charm to me, just being alone with the fish where all you are seeing and hearing and thinking about is the fish and his environment. What’s he going to do next, zig left, zig right? I had one two nights ago change coarse and come directly at me with me trying to drop my fly 15’ in front of me while backing up in the marsh. Eventually he spooked as he got closer to me, but that’s the appeal. I’ve been on flats all over and it seems the ones with the most tails are behind Sullivan’s and IOP, but I’ll settle for less sightings of tails and people for just a shot or two while I’m by myself.

Next tide cycle, I’m finding a new place!

1 Like

Man that’s what I’m talking about! Sometimes it you just have to do what you have to do… I’m due for a solo trip sometime myself. Thanks for the encouragement :muscle:

I’m running out soon to go look at the low tide, but I don’t ever have a lot of confidence in hot summertime low tide fish. But sometimes I get lucky and find a slot or two plus an undersized flounder.

Man you guys are killing me. My guys are wanting to work Saturday. But $#!t or go blind will be on the water Sunday.
I get home this afternoon going to snatch up 1 of the squirrels. Tie fishing line around his butt so I can remember what it feels like have something pulling on my poll.

1 Like

Yeah I just realized I opened the door for a smart a$$ joke. But don’t bother.

Nice! I have never been able to get one to hit tailing. Definite a skilled type of fishing…great work!

I’m with you cobia , I never had much luck with them either.A friend of mine would shoot one with his Ruger mark III every once in a while when he was marsh hen hunting.haha

1 Like

To many yankees, and all want to catch a fish they call red which is really orange or gold in color.