Son's Truck Won't Start....Need Recommendation

My son is down at CofC and his 1999 Chevy S10 won’t start. He’s talked to a few folks and they think it is the starter and after talking with him, it does sound like the starter (the battery isn’t but 2 years old) I would buy a starter and go down and replace it but I would not be able to get down there until next weekend. Even if he knew how to replace it, he doesn’t have any tools. Can anyone recommend a reliable, trustworthy shop that can replace his starter? He lives downtown so it will have to get towed there.

Try Brysons off Maybank or Moores Towing off Ft Johnson, they do all my work that I can’t do myself. Stay faraway from Dinkons off Camp.

Not sure what the problem is with the starter. Sometimes, if you take a hammer to it. It’ll work

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.

quote:
Originally posted by izzydone

T
Sometimes, if you take a hammer to it. It’ll work

Was gonna say same thing. Bendix hungup perhaps…

NN

X2 Bryson’s

Karma is 360 degrees

Some got to win, some got to lose…

East Cooper Auto Pros. Been using them for 20 years and have never been disappointed, or felt like I was given bad advice. They use all NAPA parts. Parts and labor are warranted.

If you try the hammer trick, don’t hit it very hard. Just some light tapping while someone else is turning it over. If it’s starter it might work, but it is not a fix.

If it’s a bad solenoid on the starter, you can bridge the + posts with a screw driver and get it started as well to get to the shop.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Thanks for the input. He and a friend have checked all they can and it sounds like the starter. Can’t complain, he’s been down there 4 years and had no car troubles until now (remarkable for a 19 year old truck). Two more weeks and he would have been home but he’s not so we’ll get it towed in the morning and get it running again.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Auto zone will lend him the tools (if he buys a starter from them) and he can pull up numerous you tube videos on how to replace the starter for his model truck.

It would save money and be a good learning experience.

j

Got estimates this morning. A low of $275 to a high of $515. Pretty big difference.

There should be rebuilder close by that will re build it for about $75 and give you a warrenty, same day pick up. Have had good luck with rebuilds on everthing from a small outboard to a cat dozer starters.

Yeah, just not in a position to pull it off, have it rebuilt and then reinstall. 2 more weeks and he would have been back home where I could have done all the work.

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

There should be rebuilder close by that will re build it for about $75 and give you a warrenty, same day pick up. Have had good luck with rebuilds on everthing from a small outboard to a cat dozer starters.

Boatpoor, rebuilding starters and alt. are a thing of the past. For what it costs to rebuild one you can buy one rebuilt with warranty for your core or get brand new and keep your core for only a little more. I don’t buy much reman anymore unless it is a last resort.

It’s kind of like radiator repair… Cost just isn’t worth it in most cases.

Dfree, Conner is welcome to come here and use my tools if needed. I’m 20 minutes from him.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Thanks Ricky, I appreciate the offer. I have always done my own repairs (those I am capable of doing) and would have done this one if the truck was here but, I found a shop I feel good about at a price that isn’t too bad so I had it towed there. He’ll have it back today.

It always amazes me at the difference in prices when you call around to get an estimate.

Man, when I was in college we were fixing starters, radiators, axles, etc. on the side of trails knee deep in mud. A parking lot would have felt like a Nascar garage.

I’m guilty myself. My kid is 11 and hasn’t gotten greasy yet. But his time is coming.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

He’s done a brake job, helped change out shocks and a radiator and done oil changes but swapping out that starter without supervision wasn’t really in his wheel house. That truck has the 4.3L and it is tight around that starter. Looking for a newer small truck now so we can keep the old one here for his brother to drive. He just texted me to let me know it is repaired and back on the road.

Good to hear!

NN

Fred, we have a shop in my town that rebuilds 750/1000 a day! I have an inside connection seeing I built the 25,000 ft. building before I retired. Good people!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Fred, we have a shop in my town that rebuilds 750/1000 a day! I have an inside connection seeing I built the 25,000 ft. building before I retired. Good people!

That’s a lot! They must be doing it for retail stores. Will they take a walk in customer with an old alt in hand and rebuild it?