Spot Connect

Anyone use one of these? Opinions? Comments? Thoughts? Hidden costs? Reliability?

I have an EPIRB but am looking for something that will allow me to communicate with my wife since I’ll be taking the pup soon.

Mark
Mako 262 Twin Yammaha F200s
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

I have a PLB and a spot connect. It lets me send a 41 character text message form my smartphone via Bluetooth. It also has the SOS button on the outside for emergency.

The downside to the connect is that the only way to send messages is thru the phone. It would be perfect if it had a button on the outside for a “I’m OK” message. The original SPOT has this, but you cannot send a text message.

Last week the bite was painfully slow until 2pm(when we planned to head home). I was able to send a text telling the wife we were OK, but fishing just picked up and we would be in later. Then I sent another text when we headed in.

Makes the wife very happy.

Fishb8 (Fish Bait)

23 Sea Hunt “My Last Boat V”

If you can’t stand behind our soldiers, try standing in front of them.

i have the original spot and it compliments my EPIRB,i wish i could send messages like the connect does but the i’m OK button works good.

I had the original spot and had to replace; got the second generation one that I believe they refer to as the SPOT GPS messenger. This 2nd Gen one has another button that allows you one customized message. Just as the above post states, sometimes fishing gets good and you want to stay a little without having your inshore party panic. My custom message, which can be changed on the site anytime as you wish, most commonly is left as “We are ok, going to be a little longer than expected”. Between that and the “OK” message, I am satisfied with my ability to communicate to land.

Ditto what BigTuna said. I recently got the 2nd Gen & much nicer than the 1st. Smaller too.

06 200 Bay Scout 150 Yam

www.joinrfa.org/

Not sure how big the 2nd gen is but the connect is small. I keep it in my shirt pocket of a fishing shirt.

Fishb8 (Fish Bait)

quote:
Originally posted by Fishb8

Not sure how big the 2nd gen is but the connect is small. I keep it in my shirt pocket of a fishing shirt.

Fishb8 (Fish Bait)

Mine came with a velcro strap that goes around your arm with a pocket in it for the spot…pretty handy.

06 200 Bay Scout 150 Yam

www.joinrfa.org/

Go with the SPOT 2nd generation, You wont regret the money it cost.

A spoiled rotten BOYKIN SPANIEL lives with me

I too have a spot…love it…not only for. In the boat but when I am traveling to and for McClure. Late at night or coming home. Three four o’clock in the morning from gigging…gives me a extra feeling in the car if my phone quits or I can’t dial it…just push a button and someone will know where I am. I also pay the extra 49 for the computer tracking where selected people can actually go n th

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

I too have a spot…love it…not only for. In the boat but when I am traveling to and from McClellanville Late at night or coming home. Three four o’clock in the morning from gigging…gives me a extra feeling of security in the car if my phone quits or I can’t dial it…just push a button and someone will know where I am. I also pay the extra 49 for the computer tracking where selected people can actually go n thEre and SEE where I/we are…as well as track us while we are gone…a good addition for mom and Donnie when I am out with daddy. Look online for a rebate as there usually is a fifty dollar one…and not long ago best buy had the spots on sale for fifty five dollars. One more thing…type in “free tracking access code”. First year I had mine the first year was free for new buyers

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Does the connect allow you to recieve text messages?

Mark
Mako 262 Twin Yammaha F200s
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

no. it will only allow you to send. To my wife it is worth it. I can tell her how the ocean is, were we are (although it includes lat/long) like at edisto banks, outcrop…ect

plus the “we are heading home, it will take 2 hours to get to the rocks”. Very useful

Fishb8 (Fish Bait)

Does the Spot connect work thru the Satelite? or is it G3? I have had an origonal Spot for many years and have used it to send ok mesages to my wife from all over the world, would like the ability of the text tho. I guess I need to ck it out on the web. Good network!

Yes the connect works with the satellite. Send the wife a text from 50 miles offshore.

Fishb8 (Fish Bait)

Is there a charge to send a text via satellite? For example, I have unlimited texts from my wireless carrier. Does the Spot service include texts in their monthly or annual fee?

“If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel .” Benjamin Netanyahu

Ecclesiastes 10:2

GW 205
F200 Yam

There is a package(cant remember but I think 20 then it is per text cost) or unlimited, which ever you want to pay for. I decide to go with the unlimited for the 1st year to see how much i use it.

Fishb8 (Fish Bait)

Thanks. I just bought my Spot Connect online and hope to use it in conjunction with the EPIRB for that extra safety measure and the ability to let the wife know that the bite just turned on after a slow day. Appreciate your input here.

“If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel .” Benjamin Netanyahu

Ecclesiastes 10:2

GW 205
F200 Yam

Check this out on the Spot 2nd generation.

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=113

06 200 Bay Scout 150 Yam

www.joinrfa.org/

I went with the regular Spot because I figured that most of the time if I can use my phone to send a message to the Spot I can just use my phone, but I fish mostly inshore/nearshore. On occasions I am going outside of cell range, the three pre-programmed messages (Check-In, Help, custom) in addition to the SOS feature are enough for me. I have one that basically says everything is great, one that says I’m ok but going to be late, and one that says I’m ok but need help. Wife knows what to do with those. (ie, be pissed that I’m not going to be home for dinner, or call Sea Tow, respectively) Real emergency, I’d use the SOS button. Easy to change the messages (in advance) to fit whatever you’re going to be doing. (I also carry mine when I’m biking, hiking, etc.) I tie my spot lanyard to my belt loop before I leave the dock and keep it in my pocket.

But, if you already have a good EPIRB the Connect might be a nice addition for text msgs, but didn’t really seem worth it overall IMHO. The regular Spot does everything except on the fly custom texts and is a good bit cheaper, especially since you have to pay extra for the text service.

Angler 204 FX
Yamaha 150