Spots in the GC

Never lets me down fishin’ around my home waters. I hooked on to this nice 30+"er last week when the high tide was near dark. 40 min after it’s like a light switch and the Red’s go nuts. Caught 2 and a Big ol
Gar which I gaffed to get my eye back.
Saturday the time to fish will be around 10-2. Hope to see Y’all then.

And where are your “home waters”? I just bought a home on Johns Island and have no idea where to go. I’d love some help.

Very nice red, congrats:sunglasses:, but please don’t hold them with fingers
in gill plates:frowning_face:It might swim away but probably died later.:face_with_head_bandage:

Hokie,
Any of the area Charleston Creeks have an abundant amount of quality Red’s. Go set up near some reeds along any tributary and drop some Cut Mullet along them. The Spots are everywhere! As for my Home Waters, I prefer to keep it a secret, but those who know the area are familiar with the GC. Good Luck.

quote:
Originally posted by hokie

And where are your “home waters”? I just bought a home on Johns Island and have no idea where to go. I’d love some help.

Patsy Jean
197 SportFish Pioneer

Gail Wins,
I’ll keep that in mind next time! Thanks for the tip.

quote:
Originally posted by gail wins

Very nice red, congrats:sunglasses:, but please don’t hold them with fingers
in gill plates:frowning_face:It might swim away but probably died later.:face_with_head_bandage:

Patsy Jean
197 SportFish Pioneer

Forgive my ignorance, but what is “GC”? Or is that part of the secret?

quote:
Originally posted by Moral Kiosk

Goose Creek, I’m guessing bushy, near the top of yellowhouse or flag creek.

Yeah, that should’ve been obvious. Not looking for his “spot” but it was buggin’ me that I couldn’t figure out GC. Thanks, Waldo.

quote:

Yeah, that should’ve been obvious. Not looking for his “spot” but it was buggin’ me that I couldn’t figure out GC. Thanks, Waldo.

Me too, I was thinking Garden City

First, Most, Biggest

Thanks PatsyJean,I am thankful for any help. I fished for bass just about all my life and am looking forward to salt water fishing. Any suggestions on what kind of boat i should get? under 40k, with t top would be perfect, I think

:smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Waldo
quote:

Goose Creek, I’m guessing bushy, near the top of yellowhouse or flag creek.

Patsy Jean
197 SportFish Pioneer

Hokie,
for that kind of scratch you can get pretty much anything you want. 40k will get you a very nice Center Console which will do you fine both inshore and offshore. If you just want to stay inshore I recommend something with a smaller draft, maybe a FlatsBoat. Patsy Jean’s draft is 23" I believe, which prevents me from getting up in the reeds when the Red’s are tailing. My neighbor just purchased a 20’ Sportsman for under 25k from a rep. It’s a year old and works great for the area rivers and creeks.
Just remember though, if you buy a used boat from a lot who’s only interest is to make money have the boat checked out by a professional!!! I made that mistake and it cost me 3 fuel injectors, a Stater Assembly, and an EM totaling upward of 4k. The place i purchased mine is on Folly Road and they sell on commission, and tend to be pricey though they do clean up the boats nicely.

Patsy Jean
197 SportFish Pioneer

Thanks,I do see they have a Key West 210 BR with T Top. Problem is the price is very close to a new one.

are you saying to stay away from folly Rd?

No Sir, Just make sure you know what you buying.

Patsy Jean
197 SportFish Pioneer

quote:

Thanks,I do see they have a Key West 210 BR with T Top. Problem is the price is very close to a new one.

Ask if it's for sale on commission and negotiate. Also I'd check out Boat Trader online to compare prices. Center Consoles hold their value, and some are harder to come by. My Pioneer is an 06 and I negotiated down from 27k to 23k+ a new trailer. The one underneath it was rusted out! The previous owner did not service the motor and the fuel system gunked up the entire works, he only did enough to get it running. Problem was, it wasn't charging. It's these kind of underlying issues they will NOT tell you about. Also during my "Sea Trial" the dealer made excuses that he couldn't stay out longer than 15 min, which I later came to realize it was for a reason. The batteries wore gone after 20 min of running the motor and it wouldn't start. it was only after replacing the batteries did I come to realize that the electronic Module was gone.

Patsy Jean
197 SportFish Pioneer

Go see the folks at Butler Marine if you are looking at Key West boats.
I prefer to buy new only because I have seen the way folks maintain their boats, worse than their cars so, I usually keep a boat 7-9 years and I know what was done to keep the motor and boat in top shape. Difference in a used boat and new can be 5-7 thousand but, have you bought a power head for a Yamaha 115 or 150 lately?
On fish, it’s probably best to hold them at the tail and belly or use one of the fish grips available at WallyMart or you can go high-end with the Boga grips. Accidentally killing a fish while removing a hook or taking a pic will sure ruin the mood for the day. Good luck on the boat purchasing adventure, biggest boat show of the year comes up real soon, January or February at the coliseum, worth going to to get some ideas.

Old Chicken Make Good Soup

quote:

Thanks PatsyJean,I am thankful for any help. I fished for bass just about all my life and am looking forward to salt water fishing. Any suggestions on what kind of boat i should get? under 40k, with t top would be perfect, I think

Go to the Charleston Boat Show and you will be able to check out a large variety of boats

Thanks everyone for your help. I agree, new is always better. I would hate to spend money only to get towed in. Has anyone have opinion about the Robalo 206? What I don’t like is the fact that the steering wheel in in the middle, leaving no room for the wife to sit. But dollar for dollar it seems to be a lot of boat for the money.

Highly recommend you wait and go to the Charleston Boat Show out at Coliseum around end of January. Not encouraging you to buy there although many run “boat show” specials to move product. The point as mentioned above is there will be a lot of different manufacturers and their various models on hand for you to look at details of construction, finish, layout, etc. as well as speak with representatives about the why. Plan to spend several hours there researching and exploring. From there, you will have a much better understanding of the quality and options (or lack thereof) offered by the various manufacturers and can proceed with looking for the right deal on the right model for you. Be patient and know what you’re looking for but also be ready to pounce on the deal (money in hand) when it surfaces.
If you purchase something now and then go to the Boat Show, I guarantee you’ll wish you had waited to learn more there.