sprinkler valve locator

I think I’ve got a broken valve in my sprinkler system, but I can’t find it anywhere in the yard. Anyone know where I can rent a valve locator in the Charleston area?

Never heard of such a thing:question:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by YnR

I think I’ve got a broken valve in my sprinkler system, but I can’t find it anywhere in the yard. Anyone know where I can rent a valve locator in the Charleston area?

I suggest seeking a urologist…

RBF

“Make America Sane Again.”

I have a old wire tracer you are welcome to borrow. Haven’t used it in years but it worked when I put it in the shed.

I’ve got a wire tracer too, but it won’t trace a sprinkler valve. Maybe a divining rod:question:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Its not on the side of your house? Or is there a spot in the yard without any grass, about the size of a football?

First, Most, Biggest

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I’ve got a wire tracer too, but it won’t trace a sprinkler valve. Maybe a divining rod:question:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

A wire tracer sends a radio signal down the wire. You follow the signal with a receiver beeper until it stops beeping. Wouldn’t that be where the valve is located?

Try a metal detector…

RBF

“Make America Sane Again.”

quote:
A wire tracer sends a radio signal down the wire. You follow the signal with a receiver beeper until it stops beeping. Wouldn't that be where the valve is located?

I know what it is and how it works, but most sprinkler systems are made of PVC pipe, not wire.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Is the whole system not working or just one zone? If it’s just one zone, unfortunately, a lot depends on who installed the system. Some of the older systems might even be plumbed from inside the garage.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
A wire tracer sends a radio signal down the wire. You follow the signal with a receiver beeper until it stops beeping. Wouldn't that be where the valve is located?

I know what it is and how it works, but most sprinkler systems are made of PVC pipe, not wire.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

The valve has to have a wire coming from the controller box to turn it on and off. You connect the transmitter to the wire on the system that doesn’t work and follow the signal down the wire until it stops beeping. Dig there and you should find the electric solenoid valve.

quote:
The valve has to have a wire coming from the controller box to turn it on and off. You connect the transmitter to the wire on the system that doesn't work and follow the signal down the wire until it stops beeping. Dig there and you should find the electric solenoid valve.

Interesting. I never dealt with sprinklers that fancy. If that’s the case and the valve is electrically operated, then it would work for sure, and I’ll stand corrected. I’ve been wrong before [:I]

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

It’s a Rain Bird system. The valves for each zone are wired to the control box. I suspect whomever did the original installation didn’t have a central location for all the valves and didn’t have them enclosed in a box (ie just randomly buried them in the yard).

Can’t you turn it on and look for the wet spot…sorry couldn’t resist…I would look at where the sprinkler head is and look for the obvious route back to the manifold