spun a hub

Was out on the water yesterday and think I “spun a hub” on my propeller. Same thing happened last year, and I took it into a shop and had them repair it. It ended up costing a few hundred dollars.

Why does this happen? When we had it repaired last year, I was told it spun because it hadn’t been repaired in years and “these things just happen.”

I was hoping to save some cash and maybe repair the hub myself. Can anyone offer insight into repairing and if it is possible to do it yourself without f’ing anything up.

I wanna catch some hogs

Here you go! http://www.marineenginedigest.com/diy/spunprophub.htm

Good luck.

Banjofiddler, ( I like banjo picking) if you spent a few hundred dollars to repair a spun hub, you really got took:wink: Dang, you can buy a new prop for a few hundred dollars, unless it’s something really special.

The “hub” is just a rubber friction hub that is pressed and glued into place. It replaces the shear pins of years ago. It is designed to break away and spin free in the event of a prop strike, both to protect the prop from total destruction, as well as prevent gear case damage to the engine. They are designed to do exactly what it did.

It’s going to take a new hub assembly and a strong hydraulic press to fix it properly. Any marine machine shop in Charleston should be able to repair it for under $100. In Savannah, Champion Machine would be who I’d recommend. It’s not really a DIY project, and trust me, I’m a DIY sort of guy:smiley: I’d send it to a good prop shop and expect the bill to be under $100, including re-balancing. The prop needs to be balanced just like a new tire.

Edit: wish I could type

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

Skips.

$50

quote:
Originally posted by BW2150

Skips.

$50

X2

He did both of mine for $60 and didn’t charge me extra for reshaping the blades on one of my props. You’ll never meet a nicer guy!

1970 19’ Mako
Twin 55 Yamahas

That’s what I’m talkin’ about!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

Dito on Champion Machine shop. The lady that runs the place can “look” at a prop and tell you the pitch and condition instantly. They have repaired/ rebuilt several props for me, some while I waited.

ZX

Thanks to everyone for the insight.

Who is Skips? Anyone have a telephone # handy?

I wanna catch some hogs

quote:
Originally posted by banjofiddlers

Thanks to everyone for the insight.

Who is Skips? Anyone have a telephone # handy?

I wanna catch some hogs

7169 Cross County Rd, North Charleston, SC 29418
843-552-4000

1970 19’ Mako
Twin 55 Yamahas

Mike at Skips does great work!!!

quote:
Originally posted by stanotti

Mike at Skips does great work!!!

I hit a cinder block in shallow water and had a wadded ball-o-prop. He made it look like new for 75$. I would never have guessed it could be repaired.

2000 McKee Scoundrel 160, Honda 75hp