SS # problems, help!

So, my ss number is not mine alone. There is another person with the same number. The only time it has been a problem, until recently, was when I had bank closing and that only required an extra affidavit. I am obviously not a 60 year old black man. Well, said 60 year old black man now has a felony and it has blocked me purchasing fire arms. Anyone come across this before?

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Dude, that sucks… Hate it for you.

How is that possible? I’m sorry, but if I knew someone else had the same SS#, I would be camped out at whatever office I needed to and would not resume my life until it was straight. That’s huge!

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

It hasn’t been huge, until now. He doesn’t effect my credit and the only time it ever came up was when I bought my first house. I was told there was nothing I could do about us having the same ss# by ss.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

There are just under 1 billion combinations of ss numbers and ss does not reassign numbers if someone dies. About 450+ million have been assigned. I highly doubt ss issued the same number to two different people. I bet him using your number is a better possibility.

Good luck and hope you get it worked out.

You can appeal a decision on a 4473 background check.

https://forms.fbi.gov/nics-appeal-request-form

You will need to obtain the NTN number from your dealer. It is a specific number that is unique to that transaction (background check).

Good luck! I’ve heard good things from the appeal process, but I did hear recently that they moved a lot of the agents in charge of appeals and put them in doing regular background checks to help with the backlog.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I’m with ut-vol. I’ve never heard of such unless identity fraud Wonder you haven’t had huge issues with your taxes.

Wish you the best getting it sorted out and no delays.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Need to contact your congressman/US Senators and they will work on it for you.

quote:
Originally posted by UT_VOLS13

There are just under 1 billion combinations of ss numbers and ss does not reassign numbers if someone dies. About 450+ million have been assigned. I highly doubt ss issued the same number to two different people. I bet him using your number is a better possibility.

I read a while back there were 5 million ss#'s attached to two or more people. There is apparently a variety of ways it can happen. If I remember correctly, from my last real estate closing 8 years ago, his name is attached to my ss#.

I was way off…40 million ss#'s attached to two or more people… Im screwed :roll_eyes:

http://www.idanalytics.com/blog/press-releases/20-million-americans-multiple-social-security-numbers-associated-name/

Best of luck OFM! SS should be able out. The error was most likely a date entry error not that SS issued the same number to two different people.

If you have to go to the SS office go early, as there is always a line of people there.

Hope you fine an easy resolution.

quote:
Originally posted by UT_VOLS13

Best of luck OFM! SS should be able out. The error was most likely a date entry error not that SS issued the same number to two different people.

If you have to go to the SS office go early, as there is always a line of people there.

Hope you fine an easy resolution.

Take a time lapse camera so you can capture bureaucracy in action and we can all share in our tax dollars at work.