Star Wars VIII- The Last Jedi (Spoiler Alert!)

Hopefully anyone that clicks here has already seen the movie, but just in case I won’t post anything in this first post to save spoilers, but can’t guarantee beyond this.

I just saw it last night, and so many people around me haven’t seen it, I just need an outlet to discuss with folks who have seen it or get others reactions.

I just have to ask WTF did I just watch? Maybe a few more views of it and I will change my mind, but it has now replaced Attack of the Clones as the worst SW movie made to me.

I don’t even know where to start. They took so many cool plot lines from The Force Awakens and just threw them aside. The dialogue was horrid, and the jokes were completely out of step with Star Wars. The side plots were unnecessary and the movie was just boring. It’s the first SW movie I yawned at and wanted to fall asleep. And it started at 4pm.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I’m at the opposite end of the spectrum on it. I thought the series has finally been vindicated. As I read, I think I’m in the minority on this opinion. However, I hated the last one “Rogue One, A Star Wars Story” or whatever. That was like 30 minutes of story stretched into what seemed like 6 hours of boredom. Again, I think I was on the opposite end of that from critics.

Random stream of thoughts follows:
I appreciate the similarities to the original stories to some extent. I understand why others don’t, but I don’t want some super obscure “star wars story” that doesn’t have light sabers and the force in it. That was called deep space 9 or star trek. Don’t care about the books and the whole other universe or whatever. Need the force, yoda, star destroyers, tie fighters, x-wings, etc… but I’m tired of the death stars. No more death stars please!

I hate Po’s jokes. I hate the unnatural ways he can fly an x-wing, the crazy radius turns, etc. I get it is a different technology in theory, but it is not natural looking.

I’m pretty sure I loved everything else about this one. I even appreciated the original muppet feel to Yoda and his nutty behavior.
-Lots of twists I didn’t expect
-I dug BB8’s contribution
-Probably the best light saber battle ever, definitely in the top few.

I will say that I kept thinking it was about to end and some adventure would kick into gear and add 30 minutes to the clock. I was ready for it to be over when it was, maybe before.

BG

I have actually only ever seen the first one which my kids tell me that it really isn’t the first one even though it was the first one ever shown. ???

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

If it ain’t in black and white, it ain’t Star Wars.

Never seen any of them, seen Tombstone several times, I’ll be your Huckleberry

Here are my main issues. They spent the whole last movie building up Rey’s parents, and for what? To learn she is a nobody. Spawn of some junk traders. Then they ended TFA with Luke staring at the lightsaber, and opens this one with him tossing off the cliff. I just don’t get how they took these great cliffhangers and did nothing with them.

Then the while Snoke thing. He was this mysterious Sith with incredible powers and we all wanted to know what his connection is. But ends of getting killed so,easily and never saw it coming by Kylo. Just way to cheesy, and they tossed aside another great plot point from the last movie.

Kylo’s cheesy shirtless scene, and Poe’s crappy dialogue and jokes were so boring to me. Yoda, the training, the force projection by Luke with that epic battle was all cool, but it seems like they had way too much filler. Leia flying through space like Star Lord from Guardians of the Galaxy was very unoriginal, and the purple haired Admiral looks like they stole it from Hungers Games.

I get that you didn’t care for Rogue One. A lot of people struggled to see its relevance after Episode VII came out. I think that story is about 10-15 years too late. Being a die hard fan of the original saga I really enjoyed the connection that bridged the opening of A New Hope. And the Vader light saber battle against the rebel soldiers to me was worth the wait through the movie.

And for the record, my wife was one of the first ones I knew of after TFA to call that Rey and Kylo weren’t related and would end up falling in love or at least have an affectionate connection.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

The story behind Rey’s parents isnt over. Rey and Ben/kylo are twins, in the books anyways. Ben told Rey what he saw but you gotta remember Snoke placed those visions there. I liked TLJ alright but felt they missed on a lot of opportunities for more character development. Agree with btodag, didnt like Poe and the space battles, thought they took away from the movie some. Liked seeing luke and leia together again. I thought luke kissing leia on the forehead was a great scene, very fitting and a good farewell to Carrie Fisher.

“There is nothing better we can do for our future than to teach our children well”
Cracker Larry

Went and saw it yesterday with my little girl. She enjoyed it. The light saber battle with Rey, Kylo and Snokes’ guards was probably the best part. Didn’t care for the Leia floating thru space scene. Felt like it just didn’t live up to the hype.

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.

quote:
Originally posted by on a fishin mission

The story behind Rey’s parents isnt over. Rey and Ben/kylo are twins, in the books anyways. Ben told Rey what he saw but you gotta remember Snoke placed those visions there. I liked TLJ alright but felt they missed on a lot of opportunities for more character development. Agree with btodag, didnt like Poe and the space battles, thought they took away from the movie some. Liked seeing luke and leia together again. I thought luke kissing leia on the forehead was a great scene, very fitting and a good farewell to Carrie Fisher.

“There is nothing better we can do for our future than to teach our children well”
Cracker Larry

I don’t believe so. The books are no longer canon material for Star Wars. There is intimacy between those two, and goes beyond what Luke and Leia had in episode IV. This movie parallels a lot from Return of the Jedi, but they would be crazy to sick with the same twin story line reveal.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

The totally followed the same story lines. The force awakens parallels a new hope, death star and all. I agree they don’t follow the same story lines as the books, but do take a lot from then. In the books Leia and han have twin boy and girls. The boy goes to the dark side and becomes a sith lord to be killed by his sister. The books talk extensively about how the twins can talk telepathically with each other.

Cracker Larry

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Here are my main issues. They spent the whole last movie building up Rey’s parents, and for what? To learn she is a nobody. Spawn of some junk traders. Then they ended TFA with Luke staring at the lightsaber, and opens this one with him tossing off the cliff. I just don’t get how they took these great cliffhangers and did nothing with them.

Then the while Snoke thing. He was this mysterious Sith with incredible powers and we all wanted to know what his connection is. But ends of getting killed so,easily and never saw it coming by Kylo. Just way to cheesy, and they tossed aside another great plot point from the last movie.

Kylo’s cheesy shirtless scene, and Poe’s crappy dialogue and jokes were so boring to me. Yoda, the training, the force projection by Luke with that epic battle was all cool, but it seems like they had way too much filler. Leia flying through space like Star Lord from Guardians of the Galaxy was very unoriginal, and the purple haired Admiral looks like they stole it from Hungers Games.

I get that you didn’t care for Rogue One. A lot of people struggled to see its relevance after Episode VII came out. I think that story is about 10-15 years too late. Being a die hard fan of the original saga I really enjoyed the connection that bridged the opening of A New Hope. And the Vader light saber battle against the rebel soldiers to me was worth the wait through the movie.

And for the record, my wife was one of the first ones I knew of after TFA to call that Rey and Kylo weren’t related and would end up falling in love or at least have an affectionate connection.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I agree a lot with what you're saying. Visually, the movie was great fun to watch. The lights-peeding a carrier through anothe

We saw the movie.

Almost a 7 out of 10…

Sorta like kissing your sister (if I had a sister).

Like going to a restaurant everyone is raving about and then getting a so-so meal.

Like a girl taking off her bra only for her to have bad boobies.

Like fighting a fish for a long time and have it turn out to be a ray.

Like getting a birthday or Christmas present and it turn out to be underware or socks.

Like cutting open a nice melon and it be mostly tasteless.

Like getting a birthday card with no money in it.

Like biting into a nice shiny apple and it be soft mushy-ish instead of sweet and crisp.

Like pouring a bowl of serial and then getting a phone call and your cereal gets soggy before you can eat it.

Something like that…

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 23 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 19 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by on a fishin mission

The totally followed the same story lines. The force awakens parallels a new hope, death star and all. I agree they don’t follow the same story lines as the books, but do take a lot from then. In the books Leia and han have twin boy and girls. The boy goes to the dark side and becomes a sith lord to be killed by his sister. The books talk extensively about how the twins can talk telepathically with each other.

Cracker Larry

Kylo is much older than Rey. Rey was left on Jakku around 8-9 years old about the time when Kylo tuned to the darkside.

If I had to make a guess, I would say Rey is child of someone from the new animated series Rebels. I haven’t watched those, so can’t say who, but I would bet Disney is going to tie in those characters some more in these movies, like they did with Saw Garrera in Rogue One. Disney is all about tie ins.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

And how about the stable/slave boy at the very end? Did he use the force to get the broom? Or was the broom controlled by a new lord of the dark side?

j

quote:
Originally posted by jisuho

And how about the stable/slave boy at the very end? Did he use the force to get the broom? Or was the broom controlled by a new lord of the dark side?

j

Saw that, too.

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.