Starting on our St. Patty's day meal.

Briskets a bit high this year, but oh well. Can’t break tradition now. got the Turnips, carrets, onions, cabbage, Rutabegga, and Potatoes all cut up and ready to go…

Dang if the wind isn’t kicking butt. Had to get out of the shorts and put on some warmer clothes.

Been a while since at a St Patty’s meal. Last time was in my 20s at this bar we went to. Free food & green beer.

[navy]Sportsman Masters 207 Yamaha F150[/navy]

Mmmmmm, what time is supper? My mom used to make great corned beef and cabbage.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

Good stuff…
Dang you must be feeding a platoon.

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

My wife looked at corned beef at the grocery store yesterday. $14.99 a pounds…YIKES! It’s jus the 2 of us so I guess we’ll pass.

Wife starts buying them a few months before as she see a “good” deal on the Briskets. This year they are outrageous. Should have the cow back from Cordray’s this week. Gonna have my Brother in law smoke the Briskets… about an 18 hour labor of love.

Here’s finished project. Had 35 family members over and still have some to freeze and the wife will use some to make a hash out of. She basically just mushes it all up and lets it sit in the crock pot. My puppy waiting for the trimmed off fat.

This got me wanting some corned beef. Went by Sams and snagged 9 of em in case prices go up more. $5.89lb

Gonna have to try it with more than just cabbage like you have shown. Looks awesome!!

Thanks

NN

(**() that looks good!

It sure does!!!

Fred, what temp are you cooking the beef in the oven with all those veggies??

I’m assuming it’s under there…

Thanks
NN

The oven was just to keep it warm till serving time. I boil the meat for 4-5 hours, then pull it. Put the rutabagas back in the broth and bring back to a boil, than add carrots …10min add potatoes, 20 min, add turnip and onion get back boiling test rutabagas and potatoes for tenderness, when they are eatable/tender I add my cabbage . Let it come back to a boil and then cut it off. 25 years ago when I first started I would make a mush out of it from over cooking and over stirring after adding the cabbage. I have a big spoon and mix the cabbage time you put it in the pot and then don’t mess with it any more.

The wife takes a pot full of the broth and mixes some flour, salt and pepper and makes a white gravy to put over it. And you need some Hawaiian rolls too. Then due to wife’s tradition you need some “green” deviled eggs.

There are some recipes on line for oven cooking, but imo it comes out too salty. The boiling takes care of that. Also the wife will put one in the crock pot and cover completely with water and let it slow cook all day. Works well.

We were in BJ’s and found corned beef Eye of Round, now that was good. Hardly any fat.

Wow, not what I was thinking, but sounds and looks Awesome!!

On another post, I think you were doing a catfish stew and it looked like you were doing the double boiler thing. Big pot inside a bigger pot with boiling water. If that’s the case, that is a genius way to do it. We have had many catfish stew and hash cooks and keep stirring so it don’t burn was the deal.

That would solve it!

Thanks Fred!

NN

The double pot works even better when doing chicken perlo. My Brother in law enlightened me to that. I always burned the bottom of the pot and burnt rice is a pain to clean off.