Stick It anchoring pins

Just got a 10’Stick It pin from Haddrells. I did not get any kind of base so I will be just sticking it…

So, what is the best way to use this thing?

Just like it sounds, stick it in the river bottom as deep as you can and either tie off to it for your main anchor or use it off your sterm as a positioning anchor. It doesn’t take very long to learn it’s limits of what it will hold against wind/tide wise. It will hold better than you think it will. Have fun and welcome to a whole new world of fishing.

You will be back shortly to buy your second. :wink:

quote:
Originally posted by Bolbie

…the harbor was slick as an eel pecker.

Shove it in the ground and tie your boat to it. Leave the motor running until your sure it will hold. I usually use 2 of them so there is no swing. I also use Kwik Tech Airhead Bungee Dock Line 4ft-6ft. $10 on Amazon, they allow a little extra give for wakes. It also has eyes spliced into each end so switching cleats to reposition the boat is easy.
Once you get used to it, you’ll forget you have the main anchor and just find shallow spots to park/fish.
What size/type boat?
With the wind and current, I have to use both 8ft poles to stay put. 20’CC with T-top.

17 Montauk. I have a trolling motor to get into position. I was wondering how good they will hold…good to hear ayejoe. So, if using just one, best to tie off at the bow and let the boat swing with wing and current? It looks like these things will sink…use some kind of buoy or is that a pain in the butt or just be careful and don’t let the thing get away?

Yeah, i usually put it on one of the bow cleats if i am just using one and switch cleats depending how i want the elements to swing the boat. If you are not mounting it in a brake, I would definately put some type of float on it.

quote:

You can even get a brake for your trolling motor shaft, so that as you are positioning the boat once you are where you want to be you would just slide the pin down to anchor in place.

http://www.shallowwatersolutions.com/anchor_pin_mounts

quote:

They definately will sink. Thats another reason why I use the Bunugee Dock line. It has built in foam pieces that float in case I drop it.
With your boat you should be able to tie off anywhere in almost any reasonable conditions. Like stated above, you’ll be surprised at how much one pole will hold.
Trick #1: if your not getting a good hold or trying to push it’s limits, use it on the leeward side of the boat and tie it tight to the side with the boat pushing against it. This will keep the pole vertical and prevent it from tipping to far and releasing. This works good when your trying to anchor in deeper water and can’t get a full 24" in the bottom. (I need approx 24" for my boat, you boats alot lighter and may require less)
Trick #2: If its really stuck in the mud and a hernia is not on your top 5 list, put the boat in gear and use the weight/power of the boat to pull it out. You’ll be hard pressed to damage a 3/4" stick of fiberglass.

how much did it run you Brad?

“Fish On”

I think it was $119…$130 with tax.

ayejoe, that is a cool website with a lot of ideas. The trolling motor shaft one would be nice but you would have to take the mount off every time you pulled up your trolling motor. I am going to think of something that is around the bow and would not interfere with the trolling motor or trailer winch stand.

1998 17’ Montauk
1998 90 Yamaha Inshore
Riptide SP 55 CP

quote:
Originally posted by bradsc

17 Montauk. I have a trolling motor to get into position. I was wondering how good they will hold…good to hear ayejoe. So, if using just one, best to tie off at the bow and let the boat swing with wing and current? It looks like these things will sink…use some kind of buoy or is that a pain in the butt or just be careful and don’t let the thing get away?

I used one on a Montauk for years - it holds great. I found that I never used my regular anchor. I wouldn’t mess with any mounts, just tie it off to the bow cleat or to the stern O ring. I bought the buoy but found that I never used it. I guess you could lose the stick it, but it’s tied off to the boat, so you can really only lose it when you are trying to anchor. You’re likely anchoring in 6 ft. or less, so I never wondered why you needed a buoy.

Thanks for all your advice. Used the 10’ pin this weekend. I am glad I went 10’, I do not think the 8’ would have reach the holding depth on a few occasions. Man, it was very convenient. I used the long rope and put the small loop on the pin, as per instructions and then just tied the other end to the bow cleat and just left it tied off all day long. The only issue was wiping the mud off of the pin, I did not want to get mud all over the side of the boat. This is a great inshore fishing tool!

1998 17’ Montauk
1998 90 Yamaha Inshore
Riptide SP 55 CP