Stone crab vs Jonah

I was in NMB and we had a family dinner at “Crabby George’s” and they had either Stone or Jonah claws on the buffet. None of the staff knew, and from the pictures and such I find on google I cannot tell s big difference in the coloring of the claws. I think they were Jonah based on I have to assume they were less expensive, but regardless I was surprised to see them on a buffet. They weren’t the best I’ve ever had, and they did not have spicy mustard, but my family still ate enough I feel that didn’t really make anything off of us lol. Has anyone ever encountered these on a buffet before? Is there another similar species I’m missing? Can someone tell me how to tell the difference? I know we have a few legit experts here in identifying sea critters. I should have taken a picture of one of them, but did not. TIA

Where’s Sellsfish when you need him?

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Where’s Sellsfish when you need him?

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Yes I was hoping he'd offer his knowledge on this

You gonna talk or FISH!

Jonah and stone crabs are on the opposite side of the cost spectrum when it comes to cost. Stone are expencive 20 plus dollars a lb great meat value more of a souther range crab. Jonah are normaly 6.50 an LB and come frosen and the claws are split with a water jet. Pretty much the cheapest buffet crab you can get. meat is “mushy” they are an east coast crab as well.

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

quote:
Originally posted by Flat Bottom

Jonah and stone crabs are on the opposite side of the cost spectrum when it comes to cost. Stone are expencive 20 plus dollars a lb great meat value more of a souther range crab. Jonah are normaly 6.50 an LB and come frosen and the claws are split with a water jet. Pretty much the cheapest buffet crab you can get. meat is “mushy” they are an east coast crab as well.

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

Right I knew they were cheap and why assume that's what was on the buffet, but from pics online I can't see much difference at all in their appearance. As I mentioned it was not as good as the Stoneys I've had in the Keys, Orlando, and other similar spots, but they weren't bad either. They were still sweet the only thing I noticed a big difference on was the meat seemed to cling to the cartilage (I guess it's that) divider in the shell a lot more than I'm used to seeing.

You gonna talk or FISH!

My bet they are Jonah. Next time you’re at the beach give crabby Mike’s in Surfside a try. Little farther drive from the North end but best show in town. Just my opinion of course.

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.