Stono River

Been fishing a lot on the Stono lately. I’ve been fishing spots between Stono Ferry and the inlet with luck only in a few spots. I have found a spot or two that I can catch large quantities of trout, and appear to have little to no pressure from other people fishing. I’ve also had luck fishing the currents breaks in the cut.

I’ve mainly been fishing DOA shrimp, trout tricks, Gulp shrimp, and live bait with quite a bit of success with trout but very little luck on reds.

I was wondering if anyone is willing to share some areas that they know there are fish along or near the Stono… Since my boats quite fast I’m willing to run as far as North Edisto.

I’ve heard that Sol Legare has some good spots but I’ve never stopped there and fished.

I was also wondering if it’s worth fishing for tailing reds along the Stono or if I should just go elsewhere.

I’m putting in on the Stono tomorrow before high tide if you’re going tomorrow. Would love to show you some spots near Wadamalaw Sound. Hail seasick on 16 assuming you have a VHF. If you aren’t fishing tomorrow I can PM you the info but it’s easier to show someone in person.

quote:
Originally posted by seasick11

I’m putting in on the Stono tomorrow before high tide if you’re going tomorrow. Would love to show you some spots near Wadamalaw Sound. Hail seasick on 16 assuming you have a VHF. If you aren’t fishing tomorrow I can PM you the info but it’s easier to show someone in person.

I wont be able to go out tomorrow. But a PM with the info would be a big help. Thanks.

Lots of little reds in the stono by sol legre on the low incoming. I have fished this area lately but every time was the same time with same results, live bait or fresh dead bait Carolina rigged, jigged, or on the popping cork. Went to try my big red spot and someone was there fished the other side and watched him catch a 25ish and then rain came and we both stayed and fished and then a mini monsoon cleared us both out. Sucked someone was in my spot but I did like to see someone else fish through the rain and catch one in my spot because it showed me the bite was still the same.

MarshRunner, PM sent.

Marsh Its the summer doldrums and reds are pretty easy to pattern once you find them.
I’d recommend a carolina rig with a short leader, maybe 12" and live or cut bait. Pitch under shaded dock piers, wait no longer than 5-10 min. If they are there they will seek it out and eat. If not there pick up and move until you find them. When found, note tidal stage. They will be there pretty reliably on that tidal stage until the water begins to cool in the fall.

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

How much weight do you guys use when rigging a carolina rig? I’ve never fished this way. Always a 3 way with 2 oz pyramid on the bottom.

2016 Alumacraft 186 Bay

quote:
Originally posted by cbeck6523

How much weight do you guys use when rigging a carolina rig? I’ve never fished this way. Always a 3 way with 2 oz pyramid on the bottom.

2016 Alumacraft 186 Bay

All depends upon depth and current. I personally use egg weights with them. In less than 15 feet and little current I will use a 1-2 ounce. In about 15-25 feet depending on current I will either use a 2-3. When fishing any deeper than that I will use a 4 or 5 or heavier if the current was really bad. A month or two ago I was fishing on the Kiawah side of Stono inlet and even 6 ounce lead wasn’t staying on the bottom. Just experiment with different weights and different type of weights until you find what you like.

Wow… 6 oz??? That’s nuts. I guess my normal rig with 1/2 oz could be part of my problem when bottom fishing? I guess I’ll be stopping at the Angler on the way home.

j

17 Malibu CC
88 'rude

quote:
Originally posted by NorthChuckTiger

Wow… 6 oz??? That’s nuts. I guess my normal rig with 1/2 oz could be part of my problem when bottom fishing? I guess I’ll be stopping at the Angler on the way home.

j

17 Malibu CC
88 'rude

I only use 6 ounce at like the Stono inlet and jetties when there’s a lot of current or it’s very deep.

The juvenile (2-5 yr. old) redfish populations are way down in the area. You should be able to find places where you are catching numerous 10 month old (10-12 inches)reds as they are spread out in a variety of locations now. Hiring a reputable guide who knows the area well will greatly reduce your learning curve. Pick the best local you can find to eliminate 100s of frustrating hours on the water.

I fish the Stono a lot, and I agree with the advice everyone is giving. One thing I always notice is that when bait is plentiful like it is now, the fish are less likely to bite artificials.

Find the mullet or preferably shrimp and go fish docks at low tide. Shrimp under a popping cork and shrimp or cut mullet on the bottom will do it. Look for docks near other features, like docks with oyster beds nearby or docks near creek mouths.

At high tide try fishing over submerged oyster beds with shrimp under a popping cork. You will find these spots by searching at low tide. Look for oyster beds near other structure like creek mouths.

Good luck! The redfish are out there. I’ve been catching mostly over slot fish on docks and finding lots of smaller fish in my high tide spots. Be ready for the dock fish, have your drag set so you can pull them out of the structure. I hook up with 25"+ fish frequently.