Store your boat Empty or full of gas???

What are your thoughts on storing a boat that has a gas tank in hull or fix mounted. Run it as low as possible & add a little fuel stablizer or fill it up & add fuel stabilizer? I have heard storing empty will cause more room for condensation to build up on the gas tank walls, so was wondering what was best to do. Any thoughts…

I’ve always heard keep it filled and add seafoam or some sort of fuel stabilizer for lone term storage because of the condensation issue. I always fill up on the way home or the next day after getting out on the water and if I’m done for the year add a can of seafoam. I’ve never had a problem. I’m sure some will disagree because you do whatever you learned and whatever works. Just my two pennys.

• A bad day fishin’ is better than a good day at work!

its hard to say with all the ethanol theat is “approved” now, I know a lot of people that try and run ethanol free gas in their boats, heck any engine for that matter. I like SCG’s reccomendation though

Perfect excuse to fish year round.

“I would love to help you shop for that baby shower, honey, but that gas has been sitting in the boat for almost 2 weeks, i just have to run it this weekend.”

quote:
Originally posted by Bolbie

…the harbor was slick as an eel pecker.

This comes from experience. E-10 = empty tanks for layup. E-10 absorbs water, is prone to phase seperation and will make a mess after the layup. I would empty my tanks as much as possible, pour in some Star-tron treatment and then fill the tank after layup - with more Star-tron.

Regular gas, full tanks with standard stabil or equal product.

Left alone, E-10 will absorb water and turn it into what looks like pepper flakes - this will clog up everything. Left alone longer it turns into a mess of jelly, pepper flakes, water and goo. Backfires, clogged carbs/filters/injectors and a mess to clean up.

quote:
Originally posted by jughed

This comes from experience. E-10 = empty tanks for layup. E-10 absorbs water, is prone to phase seperation and will make a mess after the layup. I would empty my tanks as much as possible, pour in some Star-tron treatment and then fill the tank after layup - with more Star-tron.

Regular gas, full tanks with standard stabil or equal product.

Left alone, E-10 will absorb water and turn it into what looks like pepper flakes - this will clog up everything. Left alone longer it turns into a mess of jelly, pepper flakes, water and goo. Backfires, clogged carbs/filters/injectors and a mess to clean up.

Exactly! I pump out when I know its going to be a while. I have experienced ethanol separation in 2-3 weeks with the summer humidity with the lawn mower and leaf blower gas can. If you use a sealed can, they look like a balloon so I use a vented can.

Unless you know for sure you have 100% ethanol free gas in your tank, get it out.

Hydra-Sports 22 Bay Sport
225 Rude

Guess it depends on how long you’re putting her up?

JustCUZ
Winner 2011 CF.com Fishing Parlay

I use only nonethanol gas and marine formula stabil. Never had a problem, but my boat doesn’t sit long. Also keep her full, never know when I might get the urge to go fishing even in winter.

keep it as empty as possible when stored, its better to dilute old gas with fresh than run on old gas, even treated old gas. The engine manufactures consider gas to be bad after 90 days, even if its treated.They receomend keeping tnks empty and starting off the season with fresh fuel) Adding two stroke oil to the gas makes it break down even faster(for those that premix). The myth that you will build up large amounts of condensation in an empty tank is way overblown. If you happen to actually have a metal tank(most newer boats have plastic tanks), the amount of condensation from sitting up empty is very minimal(I’ve monitored it on several boats sitting around), the bad effects from old fuel far outweigh the issues of moisture in your tank. Even non ethanol fuel has enough additives in it to deal with moisture in your tank.

I NEVER put gas containing ethanol in my boat

quote:
Originally posted by scfisherman89

I NEVER put gas containing ethanol in my boat

have you ever checked the gas you put in your boat? Get a test kit and check it, you never know whats being pumped out, regardless of whats on the sticker on the pump. BTW, some of the non ethanol additives are almost as bad for damaging rubber and being corrosive

Having put boats in storage for years at a time my advice is to store it as empty as possible. As in no fuel anywhere. No fuel in the tank, no fuel in the engine. When you come back to the boat then pop the sending unit off the tank and check it dry prior to adding fresh gas.

Gasoline is corrosive and you don’t want it aging in one place for a long time. Fuel injectors and fuel line components are my main worry as well as any varnish that could form from aging fuel.

On one boat I laid up for 3 years, it required new injectors, fuel pump, fuel filters, fuel lines and anti siphon valve. The fuel tank was fine after being pumped out, clean as a whistle.

Storage less than 1 year. Properly stabilize the fuel, empty, full, half, it doesn’t matter.