Strep Throat

It’s going around right now. If you have a sore throat, go get tested. I didn’t know this, but if you don’t get on antibiotics, it can still be contagious for WEEKS after symptoms go away. Our Nanny was on PTO, had a sore throat and never got treated. Her symptoms went away and she came back to work. Now this week, the entire family is sick, except for maybe the newborn (TBD). I sent the nanny back to the doc yesterday. She hasn’t had a sore throat in almost a week and still tested positive. My understanding is that once you get on antibiotics, you are not contagious after 24 hours. Ask your doc to verify.

Y’all keep that stuff down there.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Thanks for the heads up, Skinny…I keep a can of Lysol in my desk for flu season but I will start spraying the coordinates earlier because of this…

Really? I never knew that Strep was contagious? As a child I got it every year just before the 4th of July, right in time for family vacation. No one else in my family contracted it. Go figure?

Oddly enough, I don’t recall having it since then.

quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

Really? I never knew that Strep was contagious? As a child I got it every year just before the 4th of July, right in time for family vacation. No one else in my family contracted it. Go figure?

Did you get the swab test to confirm? There are definitely tonsillitis variants that are not strep, but feel just like strep.

Be sure to get the culture done and confirm strep before starting any antibiotics too. I thought I had it about 7-8 years ago, I had the fever, the white spots in the throat, and felt like I was swallowing razor blades. The local urgent care was backed up like crazy I ended up seeing the PA there. We talked about it and I said I’d had it several times prior and she agreed it looked like strep, so she gave me an Rx for an antibiotic. It turns out that it was mono and the antibiotics exacerbated the symptoms. I ended up with blisters in my mouth, my throat and even on my hands within about 24 hours of starting the medicine. I thought I had gotten hand and mouth, or maybe thrush. When I went back I was diagnosed with mono, and found out the meds I was given make it so much worse. I’m not blaming the PA as I thought it was strep and agreed to the course of action, just saying be certain it’s strep. Those blisters were turrible. Magic mouthwash, ice cream, and crown/honey shots were about the only thing I could get down that would somewhat lessen the pain. Zero fun.

You gonna talk or FISH!

that magic mouthwash is the chit…good luck with the strep froat skinnee…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Hopefully your nanny has a top notch employer with a great healthcare package.

If you ain’t hooked, you ain’t doing it right.
14’ Duracraft w/twin 25 Johnsons
http://www.myspace.com/myduesouth

For the non-pharmers Oregano tea

quote:
Originally posted by DueSouth

Hopefully your nanny has a top notch employer with a great healthcare package.

If you ain’t hooked, you ain’t doing it right.
14’ Duracraft w/twin 25 Johnsons
http://www.myspace.com/myduesouth

I haven't seen top notch in years, but she does have healthcare!