striper fishing advice

I’ve never been striper fishing until last sunday. I got bored because I couldn’t locate any crappie, so I rigged up a couple of rods with plastics and spoons. I chased the gulls and fished the edges of what I thought were schools. I only managed an 18 incher and my buddy caught a 15 incher.

I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to properly target this fish? This will be a learning experience and I can use any help I can get. Any advice is appreciated.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

-Benjamin Franklin

Malibu Stealth 12
2008 Carolina Skiff JVX16/ Yamaha F60

I’m new to fishing for them in freshwater lakes, but have spent many years chasing them in tidal waters. I moved to SC back in July from MD. I fished the Chesapeake Bay & tribs for close to 45 years & with all kinds of tackle including fly fishing.

Sounds to me like you have the right idea. Find the schools of baitfish & you stand a good chance of finding Stripers. Watching the birds is a good way to locate both. If you have the electronics, then you need to learn to identify what Striped bass look like on your screen. I fished with only a depth finder & that worked fine, but I had a pretty good idea of where to look. Then it took trying different things to see if I could catch them. I don’t know of any type of lure they won’t take, but usually if you toss something that is close to the size & profile of what they’re eating, then you’ll catch them. Stripers do tend to run in groups of fish about the same size, although when they’re busting schools of bait, there may be bigger fish below the smaller ones. The trick is getting your offering down to them without it being taken by the smaller fish.

In a lot of ways, fishing for Stripers is like fishing for bass in open water. I’ve caught both at times in some rivers & creeks & on the same lures. I much prefer to cast lures for Stripers,especially when they’ll take a topwater, but trolling or fishing natural baits works very well too.

Stripers can be found around structures, just like bass, but the Stripers will move around a lot more. They like current too. You won’t generally find them in the weeds or thick snags like you might bass, but might find them in coves, creeks, even under docks if there’s deeper water nearby or on shallow flats if there’s something there they will eat. Like I said, I’ve caught them many times in the same places with tidal LM bass in the creeks & rivers I fished often in MD.

Wish I could offer you some real secret to targeting them, but in my experience there really are none. You just need to spend the time on the water target

quote:
Originally posted by bigjim5589

I’m new to fishing for them in freshwater lakes, but have spent many years chasing them in tidal waters. I moved to SC back in July from MD. I fished the Chesapeake Bay & tribs for close to 45 years & with all kinds of tackle including fly fishing.

Sounds to me like you have the right idea. Find the schools of baitfish & you stand a good chance of finding Stripers. Watching the birds is a good way to locate both. If you have the electronics, then you need to learn to identify what Striped bass look like on your screen. I fished with only a depth finder & that worked fine, but I had a pretty good idea of where to look. Then it took trying different things to see if I could catch them. I don’t know of any type of lure they won’t take, but usually if you toss something that is close to the size & profile of what they’re eating, then you’ll catch them. Stripers do tend to run in groups of fish about the same size, although when they’re busting schools of bait, there may be bigger fish below the smaller ones. The trick is getting your offering down to them without it being taken by the smaller fish.

In a lot of ways, fishing for Stripers is like fishing for bass in open water. I’ve caught both at times in some rivers & creeks & on the same lures. I much prefer to cast lures for Stripers,especially when they’ll take a topwater, but trolling or fishing natural baits works very well too.

Stripers can be found around structures, just like bass, but the Stripers will move around a lot more. They like current too. You won’t generally find them in the weeds or thick snags like you might bass, but might find them in coves, creeks, even under docks if there’s deeper water nearby or on shallow flats if there’s something there they will eat. Like I said, I’ve caught them many times in the same places with tidal LM bass in the creeks & rivers I fished of

Again, sounds like you’re doing the right thing & learning in the process. Changes in bottom contours, such as the ledges you found are often good places. Humps or channels on the bottom can be good too.

IMO once you find the fish, the next key is finding the correct depth to get your lures. It never hurts to vary your lures or depths some either, as different actions may be what they want. Folks with bigger boats up in the bay often troll up to as many as 12 or 14 rods, with specific rods set for specific depths to cover the water column.

But, depending on how many rods you troll with, some types of lures, such as the Mann’s stretch series can be problematic as they tend to tangle with other lines if you try to run to many rods at once. When I trolled them I usually went with 3 or 4 rods, two up, two down. With other lure types I might run 6 to 8 rods unless I was fishing alone. Then I always limited it to 3.

You should give bucktail jigs, spoons & perhaps some other big lipped lures a try if you have them. Depending on your gear, parachutes can also be very productive, particularly for bigger fish. Of course the problem there can be the weight you also have to deal with, as they can be quite heavy so some pretty stout tackle is necessary. I make most of my own, so I always had a wide range of sizes.

Much of the trolling I did was with lighter stuff, even though I have all the heavy gear too. I simply enjoyed the lighter rods & lures better and preferred casting to trolling. Still, sometimes you simply have to do what’s working.

Back in the Chesapeake, I even trolled or cast such things as ribbontail worms or large curltails on jig heads especially in the rivers, as Stripers love eels & those plastics imitate them quite well. I seldom used a jig heavier than an ounce for trolling with them & I would use much lighter, even down to 1/8 oz. if I was casting them.

Keep trying different things & depths. You’re going to catch smaller fish too, that’s part of the game. Stripers are gluttons, they

BTW, those stretch lures don’t come with the best hooks. They’re not especially sharp or strong. They’re OK for smaller fish, but if you ever hook anything big, those hooks will fail. I change all of mine over to either VMC or Owner, and have been going to inline single hooks on many lures. Just something to keep in mind. :wink: