Striper fishing how to on Murray

Any advice on how to troll for stripers on Murray. Anyone ever used something like Rebel 3000s(?)diving plugs or trolling bucktails? When? Where?

yup

The more you fish,the better you lie.

14.5 'yak 175 lb motor

ask no more on this site…YOU WILL CATCH ALL OUR FISH!!!..leave now!:dizzy_face:

14.5 'yak 175 lb motor

Scout,

There is at least one local striper club here in Columbia. They meet regularly and have pretty good functions. At least the couple I attended a while back were. I am sure that you could pick up some pointers there as well as make some contacts.

Lexx

Do you smell that?! Do you smell that?! Fish bait, Son. Nothing else in the world smells quite like that. I love the smell of fish bait in the morning.

Just kidding:smiley:If you put in at dreher,you can get live herring.I fish buffalo creek.Check point where b.crk hits lake(nw cove)also due east across lake then head south and watch for steep rise(40’-10’)check there and then look in 2’nd inlet sw of b.crk marina(cut through shallows of small islands and watch for the creek bed(15’-35’ drop)I almost always find them there.Now lets see If a tip on this site will ruin my “honey” holes…I doubt it!Why everyone else is so secretive,I do not understand.

14.5 'yak 175 lb motor

scout,
I use bucktails while trolling. I also add a curlytail white grub or chartuese grub to the hook. Have caught a lot of fish out in front of Wessinger Island that way. Also in Bear Creek and in front of Susie Ebert Island. You might need a downrigger. I have a cannon mini-troll that I clamp on the boat. You could try planer boards or lead core line if you don’t have a downrigger.

“My wound is geography.” “It is also my anchorage, my port of call.”

kloudking1

Scout,
Scout,

Lexx was probably referring to our local “Midlands Striper Club” which can be found online at http://midlandsstriperclub.homestead.com/. Lots of good information is there for free. Monthly tournaments are held with $6 entry fees, and we also meet once a month at Carolina Wings on Highway 1 in West Columbia and include guest speakers on various striper related topics. Poke around the website and see what information you can gather, and be sure to click on the far left side on the “Message Board” to see where fish are being caught and to also ask questions as a visitor. We are all always glad to have additional fisherman join.

“Now lets see If a tip on this site will ruin my “honey” holes…I doubt it!Why everyone else is so secretive”-“murrayfisherman” no-everyone isnt secretive murray,you just dont listen.went to 17steelbridge-combahee and fished in the rain the other day.while i didnt tear em up,i did manage 2 decent ones along with 3 spottails,one around 24 inches.(spottail)but,once again the stripers were there as they almost always are.this was a long day for 5 fish,but every riverene striper i can catch is a plus in my book.

as for the witnesses you were requesting for “proof” that im a good fisherman.once again i challenge you to read the many threads in the archives where i mention people who were with me over and over who saw the catches for those days.email them and get slammed.course,i guess you would question them,and the pics,then want the exact location and someone to hold your hand?good luck on here-you make friends fast…

14 ft oldtown “troutkiller”

This all started with"I smell something fishy".For that remark I appologize.I also thank you for calling off your dogs.I appreciate the 17 bridge tip but thought that was common knowledge.Other than your well honed striper catching instincts it seems that maybe striper fishing on murray might be better.True? Also,next time you fish you could roll around in the sand a little in an attempt to get your skin a little thicker.

14.5 'yak 175 lb motor

point taken-it takes some thick skin around here sometimes.

stripers better on murray?define better.i love catching riverene stripers.i think they are coming back pretty strong in the ace basin as well as the cooper and santee rivers.dnr will support this claim as i have talked to them and have even been questioned on locations,sizes,and numbers of fish taken in the last few years on the combahee.according to dnr,they are definately coming back slow but sure.the numbers are definately better.lake murray i wont give an opinion on because it has been years since i fished there.i was a lake moultrie striper guy during its hayday.just hope murray doesnt die the horrible death that moultrie has.the fish there dont seem to be comin back at all.atleast according to friends that have tried there recently and have recent knowledge of the numbers of stripers on the lake.but if all things were equal i would take riverenes or surf stripers(north of hatteras) over lake stripers any day.that doesnt mean i dont like lake fishin though.forgot to mention that the savannah river has seen a recent comeback of striper numbers also which is good news.its a good omen that riverenes seem to being coming back strong everywhere around here.just my .02

the 21" min and 5 fish limit should help keep murray healthy.Only a few keepers for me last year(I did eat them…yum) Dnr seems to have a good program going up here.

14.5 'yak 175 lb motor

i hope so.that isnt so different from the old limits in the day on moultrie.that wasnt the problem.the problem was all the advertisement for the great santee cooper lakes that thousands of striper fishermen saw in every outdoor magazine for years.years of overfishing and the rest is history.the guides made a killing for years.the old lake moultrie motel owned by a friend of the family use to be full of them all the time.now he gets a few cat fisherman here and there,or people coming down to crappie/largemouth fish.history.

I have heard that there is no natural reproduction in Lake Murray. All of the fish are stocked by the DNR. So I guess as long as they are stocking it it should be ok. They are putting a fish ladder so the fish from moultrie should be able to get up the broad past the canal to spawn. Plus they are increasing the stocking. Hopefully this will help Moultrie.

the stripers on murray is getting better.with all the 19-20 inch fish that we have caught this year.ther should be plentyof keepers next year.scout midlands striper club is agood one i was a member last year but it got in the way of my saltwater fishing so i gave it up.i still attend afew meetings with a friend of mine.basscatcher are you a member?you probably know the fellow i fish with dean preston.

I was vertical jigging a few weeks ago on Murray and caught a 10" striper. I was surprised as I too have heard that they don’t reproduce on Murray. But, to my knowledge, no fish have been released by DNR, so maybe they do reproduce. There is a pretty good striper run up the Saluda to Lake Greenwood dam every spring. Is it possible that they reproduce in the river below the dam?

From what I heard the striper need X amount of turbulant water for there eggs to float. If they do not have a long enough stretch of ideal conditions the eggs will not hatch. but there are allways exceptions.

Here is a good read:

http://stripers247.com/southcarolinastripedbass.htm

It is possible that a few eggs are successful from the upper Saluda, but it’s a pretty short flow from Buzzard’s Roost down to the lake. The eggs need to be suspended in flowing water for 48 hrs after fertilization to be viable. The dry spring weather the past several years has not helped the Santee fish have good spawns due lack of flow in the Congaree.

good article. Based on the egg production of the large females compared to the small ones (14,000 eggs from a 3#er, or 3,000,000 from a 10# female)it would seem like a slot limit would be the best way to manage the population. I would also think that the water release from Lake Murray would have a huge impact on the success of the spawn.

ding…ding…ding…We have a winner! You are right about the water release from Lake Murray. I have already touched a nerve with KK1 on this issue last spring. It is a very controversial subject between the home owners at the lake and SCE&G. Just pray for spring rains to fill the lake so that they can release enough water to satisfy their profit goals and help the striper spawn and give the folks living on the lake enough water to enjoy their investment.

I would think that since the repairs on the dam are finished it should be easier to maintain a decent level in the lake and allow some flow in the saluda. At least durring the spawn. I don’t think they would have to have the water blasting out like it is now. Just maintain some flow thru the spawn. last year it was a trickle the entire time. I imagine the canal in Columbia had to have had an impact on the population as well.