Striper schooling?

I was just wondering if anyone has started trolling yet. Last year on December 14th I caught 20 stripers trolling in 55 degree water.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

-Benjamin Franklin

Malibu Stealth 12
2008 Carolina Skiff JVX16/ Yamaha F60

A friend said there was a very little bit of schooling today down by the locks. I live at the Marion end of the Diversion Canal. Two years ago I would see big schools every evening this time of year. Last year didn’t see any schooling and none this year.

I remember in the summer I read where stripers were being found dead because of heat and no rain. I hope the population wasn’t hurt to bad.

I’m giving it a run tomorrow morning, I’ll let ya know if I have any luck

Semper Fi

Thanks guys, I am going to give it a try next week.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

-Benjamin Franklin

Malibu Stealth 12

Any luck al8995? Hope the stripers are biting… tight lines!

“Lil Mudslinger” - Lowe 160 W/30hp Yammie

I caught a few Sunday and today near the Diversion Canal throwing bucktails, all 23"-24". Three mornings in a row I’ve seen a lot of bird activity but not sure if they were with stripers schooling, they just seemed very active. The channels are full of massive bunches of small herring right now. Two drops with a sabiki rig got seven herring but didn’t get anything to hit the herring.

I’ve been out a few times, boated 21 so far. Only one keeper though at 32 inches and 20 pounds. This warm weather has messed with the depths. They have been running a bit shallow the past few days.

-Benjamin Franklin

Malibu Stealth 12

Nice one al8995, thanks for the report!

“Lil Mudslinger” - Lowe 160 W/30hp Yammie

Going to give it a try in the morning. We’ll see what’s happening.

Being superstitious is bad luck.
21’ Wellcraft “Drama Queen”
Time and tide wait for no man.

Well?

When I liver in Sumpter in the early 70’s we would always catch them in Wibo in late Jan. after duck season! Haven’t fished that area since!

I spent a couple hours today at the lower end of the diversion canal. Nothing at all, marked very few fish and no pods of bait where just a few days ago the bait was there by the millions. Water 49-51 degrees so with the surface temps that low I would guess the bait and the stripers have gone deep.

It was a bust for us on Friday. Wind and waves were way up. Fished half a day but no bites.

Being superstitious is bad luck.
21’ Wellcraft “Drama Queen”
Time and tide wait for no man.