Striper Tube Question

we have started fishing more tournaments lately and have acquired ourselves a striper tube. this thing works great and the fish seem more lively at weigh-in than when they were caught. so lively that it is very difficult to get control of the fish to get it in the weigh-in bag!

the question I have is how do most people get the fish out of the tube? we were thinking about tying some sort of line in the fishes mouth, but don’t want to risk killing the fish. any input in appreciated.

Well Hung
Nautic Star 2000 Offshore
200 Suzuki

They have gloves at academy sports for that , Ask Van Cook he’s an expert . Head first in tube .

TOM GITTO
Team Keepn It Reel
Is this really happening, they were here yesterday.
20ft Sea Hunt cc Blue T Top

Talk to Scott Perry. If you look on his Facebook page he uses clips with a float. Send me a text and I’ll send a picture of what he uses.

TEAM HARD OF HERRING

1991 Scout 172
2006 Yamaha 90

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Gitto

They have gloves at academy sports for that , Ask Van Cook he’s an expert . Head first in tube .

TOM GITTO
Team Keepn It Reel

I would rethink asking Van after he lost his biggest fish over the rail trying to get it out of the tubes on Saturday … :wink:

… it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish !!!

2005 Sea Pro 2100cc / Yamaha 150hp 4-Stroke

Thanks Riff, I can get with Scott!

We looked like a bunch of jack legs Saturday in the boat fighting fish, but finally got them out. Then we tried to dump the tube water in the bag and I got drowned. Van was beside us, so I was gonna watch him to see if he was any better than we were. That’s when he threw his biggest fish back in the lake. Talk about a heart breaker!!

Well Hung
200 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by BarBell1979

Thanks Riff, I can get with Scott!

We looked like a bunch of jack legs Saturday in the boat fighting fish, but finally got them out. Then we tried to dump the tube water in the bag and I got drowned. Van was beside us, so I was gonna watch him to see if he was any better than we were. That’s when he threw his biggest fish back in the lake. Talk about a heart breaker!!

Well Hung
200 Suzuki

But he ended up with a check for his effort and had he stuck around he also would have won the $100 Palmetto Armory Gift Card ... soooooooooooooooooooooooo, I'll let you decide which was the bigger heartbreaker? Accidentally dumping a 7 lbs fish over the side or leaving the weigh-in early and missing out on the $100 gift card ... LOL ...

FYI, thanks Van for leaving … I’ll put the card to good use … :wink:

Ok… Van was having a really really bad day… makes me feel a little better that our only struggle was with the tube.

Congrats on that $100 gift card… I don’t think Liz is putting our name in the hat… :frowning_face:

Well Hung
200 Suzuki

Man o man team Keepn It unreal. Ha ha LMAO

TOM GITTO
Team Keepn It Reel

Ok, so the maiden voyage in the Starcraft went well. We had plenty of room, landed fish, it ran great and had a fun day on the lake with a 1st time guest…

Now maybe that was not my best fish handling at the dock. I tried these new gloves and they were slippery as owl poop. Going back to the rag! And the idea of clips and a float is great. I have seen that done before and will now be making some up after this weekends fiasco. My guest was on the land watching instead of standing where he should have been on the boat blocking that escape route. Captains fault!

But hey we got smallest creel and the $25 which is some consolation! Then had to leave early for a dance competition for my daughter in the upstate, so I guess that cost me another $100.00.

What a day! I just had to laugh at it all. Hopefully next year will be better!

VanMan
Team “Keep’n It Reel”

So sorry Y’ALL still laughing. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.Hope next year is better for everyone no matter how good 2016 was for you all . Tom and Loretta Gitto

TOM GITTO
Team Keepn It Reel

quote:
Originally posted by VanMan

Ok, so the maiden voyage in the Starcraft went well. We had plenty of room, landed fish, it ran great and had a fun day on the lake with a 1st time guest…

Now maybe that was not my best fish handling at the dock. I tried these new gloves and they were slippery as owl poop. Going back to the rag! And the idea of clips and a float is great. I have seen that done before and will now be making some up after this weekends fiasco. My guest was on the land watching instead of standing where he should have been on the boat blocking that escape route. Captains fault!

But hey we got smallest creel and the $25 which is some consolation! Then had to leave early for a dance competition for my daughter in the upstate, so I guess that cost me another $100.00.

What a day! I just had to laugh at it all. Hopefully next year will be better!

VanMan
Team “Keep’n It Reel”

That sucks losing your biggest fish but heck I've lost rod and reels and even lost my new boat from the dock over on Clark Hill one time when I failed to actually "tie" the boat off to the dock while I went to get the trailer. Wind blew her all the way across the Savannah and there wasn't a soul around and no cell service. Glad your new boat worked out, looks like its gonna be a good one!

Carolina Skiff 218 DLV
140 Suzuki

A friend fishing a bass tournament in October got tangled up in his co-angler’s spinnerbait. Lost his two biggest bass when he fell at weigh-in. Luckily he fell onto the dock, without getting hurt instead of in the water. Both of the biggest bass flipped off of the dock before anyone could catch them. He managed to keep three fish for the weigh-in.

We pull up the inner black tube with the fish and pour into bag.

I bought a cheap chain stringer, took the snaps off, and tied a piece of nylon cord to each snap. I tied a shark float on the other end. measure the depth of the inner tube and cut your cord to float when the fish is at the bottom of the tube. Just put the snap through one lip in the soft spot. I have different color floats on each so I can tell which fish I want to cull. Also, you can lift the fish out by the float. Works good so far.

Graduated from ShakeNbake 350 very nice!

Van, at least you didn’t fall in and miss the weigh in like Rick did a few years ago. Cost himself angler of the year before the team tournament set up. It could always be worse. I believe he tripped on his gar club. Guess the bludgeoned gar gave him some bad karma.

Wellcraft V-20 sportfish with a 200 Evinrude