Sullivans/ICW 5/17

Tried for some of your standard inshore variety today. The weather was the most pleasant weather I’ve had fishing. Got a little warm, but really quite nice. The wind was not bad at all up in the creeks. Ended the day with only 1 trout and a couple eater whiting.

Menhaden all over the place. My son got to see his first cannonball jelly. I netted it up and showed him. It’s fun watching a 5-year old wrinkle his eyebrows as if to say “are you serious?” when he touches it for the first time.

The fish were sluggish… or more likely, harder to find. Water was really muddy from all the rain earlier in the week. Didn’t have anything but a few rat-a-tats on artificials (curly tail grub this time), and the lacerations on it tell me they were probably bluefish.

I tossed mud minnows (carolina rig, and jighead) along with artificials for several hours, and nothing. So, we stopped near Breech and got out the bottom rigs with cut shrimp. We put a couple whiting in the cooler and then I managed to haul up a 19" trout, on a piece of cut shrimp.

Definitely the biggest trout I’ve put in the cooler in a while. In fact it’s about the ONLY trout in a while lol. Trout is Momma’s favorite, and she has a bun in the oven, so Momma wins, trout loses, this time.

Something bent my son’s hook on his first cast. Was a #4 mustad. He never felt a jerk, and he didn’t snag it. I had literally just baited the hook 3 minutes before. He casted it out, and then the boat shifted position and he had to reel it in. Bait was gone, and hook was mangled. I have no idea what would have done this, I have never caught a crab that was strong enough to do this. I had to bend it back out with pliers, and there’s no way it was a blue crab.

Sounds like a good day with the boy :sunglasses:

quote:
I have no idea what would have done this, I have never caught a crab that was strong enough to do this. I had to bend it back out with pliers, and there's no way it was a blue crab.

Stone crab.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

That’s probably it. It’s the only thing in our water that I know of that could do this lol. Would have been nice to bring him up, a little claw to go with the trout lol.

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.