Sunday on the Stono

A neighbor and I went out on the Stono yesterday, from around 10-4pm, just before and after low tide, hoping to land some trout. It wasn’t too cold but it was windy. As the tide was falling, we were searching…and searching…and searching…no luck on anything. Tried to find some shrimp in some of the smaller creek mouths and didn’t see anything. So, we had to stick with the minnows, cut mullet and grubs. After the turn of the tide, we started looking for reds. First around the golf course, then at the ole reliable “double nickel”. Still nothing!! Finally tried a spot over a large shell bank near a dock and finally found the reds. All the action happened within an hour. Six reds all released, some by their own accord.
minnows under a float
water temp 55
clear but fast moving current

A good spot for the reds and trout is in rantowles creek,toward the hwy 17 bridge second curve,there is a feeder creek on the right,about 100’ from there is a oyster bed[in front of the metal building].

Double D.

Nice job at that shell bank…give it a try on the outgoing:wink:. There was a lot of fight in the fish yesterday; landed 9, but we broke off 3 and straightened the hook on 1. I have never done well with trout on that section of the river. I usually run to Wadmalaw sound for trout. High tide outgoing can be good in Rantowles when keying in on the water flushing out of the small feeder creeks.

Iain Pelto
Sea Hunt Triton 160 w/ 90 ETEC “JB3”
Native Manta Ray 14

HB,try the upper part of that river [Bulow Landing] when the weather gets a little colder.I find that as my go to spot for the trout.Now that I am boatless I still go there and fish off the bank and do decent.

Double D.

I was thinking about heading to wadmalaw sound, but figured it would be way too windy.

everyone, thanks for the suggestions!!

Sea tonic, yeah you would have gotten beaten up on Wadamalaw Sound yesterday.

Double D, shoot me a PM if you want to give Bulow landing a try.

Iain Pelto
Sea Hunt Triton 160 w/ 90 ETEC “JB3”
Native Manta Ray 14

Sea tonic sorry for hijacking.Didn’t meant to.

Double D.