Sunday Report

I decided the weather wasn’t too bad yesterday to give it a try; so I hooked up, stopped by Lakeworld for 3 dozen, got to the dam by noon, suited up, and launched. By 3:30, I was out of bait, having boated 20 with 12 keepers. The largest ones were around 6 pounds. All are still swimming. I simply drifted the river channel just above Bear. Though I caught a couple on 35-40 foot down rods, the cork and freeline produced best.

Y’all go get em when you have a chance. The deep water drift will be good until turnover.

Xpress HB-22
175 Yammy Jammer

Sounds like you are really on them. I’ll tell cousin where he needs to go. Do you think he could catch them trolling artificials? Give me a call when you know more about the knee.

What Spoon is referring to is my son Robert’s knee. He got hit by the crown of the helmet by an opposing player squarely on his right knee. He has a fractured tibia and damage to the mcl. An mri will tell the whole story when it’s scheduled. His season is done. Hopefully, we’ll get him well for his senior football season.

Xpress HB-22
175 Yammy Jammer

Sorry to hear that Fogman, he will be in our thoughts and prayers. But help me out on this “cork and free line”.

17ft Scout
90 yamaha

LM, You can check out Midlands Striper Club’s web site under “Tips and Techniques” to see examples of a free line. Just add a quick release cork with a smidgeon or more of lead for a cork line. Lots of good info on their website. Lake World sells the corks. Most of the big chain stores do not offer them.

Fog so sorry about Robert tell him we are praying for him and to hang in there! He can come back and have a GREAT Senior season.

Thanks guys! His mri is set for tomorrow evening, and he has an appointment with the orthopedist on Friday. I hope they find he doesn’t need surgery, but that’s a good possibility.

As for the cork, I use Redi-Rigs like many of our posters and readers. I use a standard freeline with a bead and splitshot on spinning tackle. Sunday, I simply threw out 20-25 feet of line with the bait, attached the cork( It has a snap and release like a planer.), and fed out 60-80 feet more line. Sometimes, it wouldn’t make it that far before the cork disappeared.:sunglasses: The corks are available at Lakeworld.

Sure Spoon. I think Rusty could pick up some trolling plugs. Just stay in the channel, run at 2-3 mph, and drive in a zig-zag pattern.

Xpress HB-22
175 Yammy Jammer

A very good recommendation on driving zig-zag. A mistake many fishermen make, driving in a straight line!

Rick K
2310 Polar Bay Boat
Yamaha 250 4 Stroke

Praying for your son, James. Speedy recovery…

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

I have great news regarding Robert. He had his MRI on Wednesday night and his orthopedic appointment today. It was found that what was thought to be a tibial fracture is simply a bad bone bruise. His mcl has a slight tear, but surgery is not necessary. He was given a bendable brace and is off crutches. Most importantly to him, he can return to driving. With 6-8 weeks of pt, he should be good to resume his normal activities with regard to weight training and football. Thanks so much for all the kind thoughts and prayers! GOD is good!

Xpress HB-22
175 Yammy Jammer

Glad to hear your son’s situation was better than expected. I wish him luck with the recovery. He has age on his side.

Thanks for clearing up what freeline fishing was as being from New York I just thought it was a form of trolling. I plan on heading out Wednesday to make the 900 mile drive down to fish Lake Murray. I have made a lot of notes and we hope to hit some prime striper fishing along casting for Bass. I’ve narrowed it down to six poles to bring along. 2 heavy for the yellow birds, 2 bait casters with 10 lb test, 1 open face with 8 lb and of course 1 ultra for crappie.

JZO, just curious …what made you pick Murray of all places?

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

MY BROTHER MOVED TO SC LAST YEAR AND WHEN I CAME DOWN TO VISIT LAST MONTH BEFORE HEADING UP TO CHARLETTE FOR THE RACE. WE TRIED TO FISH LAKE MURRAY BUT DO THE STORM AND ALL THE FLOODING THINGS HAVEN’T GONE WELL.I LIKE THE LAYOUT OF THE LAKE AND IT SEEMS REGARDLESS OF THE WEATHER YOU CAN FIND A AREA OF THE LAKE TO FISH. MY BROTHER AND I DID SOME GREAT FISHING AT HOME(NY) THIS SUMMER. ALSO I LOVE TO FISH FOR STRIPERS AND OUR RUN ON THE UPPER HUDSON RIVER WAS A BUST.

IZO, Hope the rain and muddy water don’t mess your fishing up. The little Saluda looked much clearer than the big Saluda at Black’s bridge yesterday afternoon. If you’re largemouth fishing, C-rigged Green Pumpkin trickworms might be a good bet on rocky points between 4’ and 12’ deep. Atleast they were for me last Saturday.

Spoonmaster THANKS! for the info!