Tagged Shark

Fished North Inlet yesterday and caught a tagged shark. I am pretty sure that it was an Atlantic sharpnose. The tag had a capsule with a number inside, but no other information. Does anyone know who would be tagging these sharks or where to report the number?

Neat! I imagine this is your best first stop.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/

Vinman
19.5 Triumph, 115 HP Honda
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”

the shark tagging program is led by Bryan Frazier- email: FrazierBr@dnr.sc.gov

desk number: 843-953-9843

i’d wager a large sum that it wasn’t a sharpnose if it had a capsule tag… but if you got that number and it was tagged in this state, Bryan can tell you in a second!

quote:
Originally posted by DRIFTSOCK

Fished North Inlet yesterday and caught a tagged shark. I am pretty sure that it was an Atlantic sharpnose. The tag had a capsule with a number inside, but no other information. Does anyone know who would be tagging these sharks or where to report the number?

You can contact NOAA. This is where my tag information was sent: [url]http://na.nefsc.noaa.gov/sharks/catchshark.html[/url]

The local guys were very helpful but, the information ultimately went up to Narragansett, RI. They sent me a really nice hat with an embroidered shark on it. :wink:

Thanks for the help. I found out today that it is not a DNR tag. Now I will try NOAA.

Google “apex predator program”. Yours is probably a noaa tag. Unfortunately, many of these tags come back with no data. I think there were many of them tagged without logging any subsequent data.

quote:
Originally posted by winyah-jay

Google “apex predator program”. Yours is probably a noaa tag. Unfortunately, many of these tags come back with no data. I think there were many of them tagged without logging any subsequent data.

I have retrieved these capsules from 3 tagged blacktip and spinner sharks in north inlet. Not 1 had the tagging data been reported to noaa!! Doesnt make sense to take a fish without documenting where and when fish was tagged.

Newman
www.gtownkingfisher.com

Coastal Carolina has a bunch of folks who tag sharks in NI/WB too- possibly placed as part of a student project?