Tankless water heaters

Was thinking about getting one,just wanted to know if any of you have one and what are the pros/cons?

Thanks.

I have also been consdiering one. My biggest reservation is what happens when you lose power? How does the ignitor light to heat water? I have a traditional gas heater and it is nice to know if the power goes out I still have hot water.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Replaced my gas water heater with tankless,acquired more area in that closet with the removal of tank.That heater supplies 2 1/2 baths,plus the washing machine,no issues with the supply of very hot water.

Price was less than a conventional tank heater,but the added space and ease of installing made the switch most desirable.

We just built a house and put a gas tankless system in.
PROS-
Endless hot water
Unit is located on exterior of house next to HVAC
CONS-
You end up using a lot of water up before it gets hot
My gas bill was higher than expected

This is only based on 2 months of use so far. Overall, I am happy with it.

Scott Fulton
AgentOwned Realty
Scott.Fulton@AgentOwnedRealty.com

quote:
Originally posted by STFulton1

PROS-
Endless hot water
CONS-

Scott Fulton
AgentOwned Realty

Are there any rebates or tax implications for these in SC?
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by STFulton1

PROS-
Endless hot water
CONS-

Scott Fulton
AgentOwned Realty

Are there any rebates or tax implications for these in SC?

SCE&G has some rebates on the Natural Gas models. Here is a list of all SCE&G rebates.

https://www.sceg.com/for-my-home/save-energy-money

I had one installed in my new house 7/14 love it. Turn tub on its hot in 15 seconds,output is 7 gal per minute, it does have a 180,000 btu burner that heats the water so it will use large amounts of gas when in use but zero in between uses. I would get another one.

26’ Twinvee Cat
Twin Suzuki 175’s
www.creeksidemetalworks.com

our hood is without nat gas and as I understand it the electric models just aren’t up to snuff yet…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Thanks for that rebate post Mark. I had the pleasure of replacing my gas pack last month and after looking at the SCE&G site, see where I might qualify for a rebate. Yippeee, get some of my dang money back.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

our hood is without nat gas and as I understand it the electric models just aren’t up to snuff yet…

they operate just fine on propane.
quote:
Originally posted by poke salad
quote:

I want one that is fueled by the blood of double-breasted cormorants!
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
quote:

I want one that is fueled by the blood of double-breasted cormorants!

no propane either, but we do have plenty of cormorants…and Canada geese…

Tankless water heaters are a luxury and in my opinion cost you… that said, I love mine.

I have a duel fuel cooking stove and a Rinnai water heater that run off Propane from a 100 tank I have in my backyard.

I have to fill the tank every 3 month and looking at my last bill (01/30/15) it was 401.71 from BlueFlame 82.9 @ $4.64/GAL, $10 Hazmat, $7 Recovery Fee… ballpark around $401.71

That’s $1,200 a year… or $100 a month

Electric Bill last month was $255.00

You’re mileage may vary but $355 for a January power bill? That’s steep…

It doesn’t save you money, but…

It saves you/me from having to listen to a wife and 2 daughters yell/complaining that there isn’t any hot water in the morning and that my friend is worth it.

We’ve got a tankless & had it for a while. At the time there was a tax rebate for getting it & our power bill went down as well in gas use, compared to a normal hot water heater

21 Contender

energy guy again -

tankless water heaters cost less to operate than electric water heaters, but if you use propane, it’s much higher than natural gas, but still lower than electric

to explain further: compare a tank water heater to a tankless using the same fuel, you save $10-$20 a month because you don’t have the tank, the heat loss from the tank is $10-$20 a month, it sits there with hot water and the heat escapes, you then reheat the same water, with the tankless you only heat it one time

but they’re only cheaper if you don’t start using more hot water, I’ve had customers that installed tankless and the bill went up, of course they complained, “you lied, I want a refund”, when I looked at their water bill it was clear that they were using more water

this one particular customer said, “well, we do use the big tub more because now we can fill it up and not run out of hot water”, uhh duh!! if you start taking longer showers and using the big tub your fuel bill will be higher, so he says, “well it’s worth it, I’m getting more sex than ever in the tub” TMI

Pioneer 197SF

Marathon water heaters are well worth looking into!

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

energy guy again -

tankless water heaters cost less to operate than electric water heaters, but if you use propane, it’s much higher than natural gas, but still lower than electric

to explain further: compare a tank water heater to a tankless using the same fuel, you save $10-$20 a month because you don’t have the tank, the heat loss from the tank is $10-$20 a month, it sits there with hot water and the heat escapes, you then reheat the same water, with the tankless you only heat it one time

but they’re only cheaper if you don’t start using more hot water, I’ve had customers that installed tankless and the bill went up, of course they complained, “you lied, I want a refund”, when I looked at their water bill it was clear that they were using more water

this one particular customer said, “well, we do use the big tub more because now we can fill it up and not run out of hot water”, uhh duh!! if you start taking longer showers and using the big tub your fuel bill will be higher, so he says, “well it’s worth it, I’m getting more sex than ever in the tub” TMI

Pioneer 197SF

do you personally use one?

for those that like the details - using Slowpokes propane numbers

• a gal of propane is $4.64 and has 92,000 BTUs
  • a therm of SCE&G natural gas including taxes is $1.15 and has 100,000 BTUs
  • one kwh costs about $0.15 and has 3412 BTUs, it takes 29 kWhs to get a therm

to normalize on one therm: NG $1.15, propane $5.10, and electric $4.40

these numbers aren’t exactly correct but close enough for this

it gets complicated from here, the efficiency of the system comes into play, electric converts 100% of the energy to hot water but then the tank looses heat so it’s about 90% efficient

the gas unit overall efficiency is about 60%, that includes the heat conversion efficiency% and the tank loss

by the time you do all the math
NG - 2.5X cheaper than electric
NG - 4.4X cheaper than propane
Electic - 1.8x cheaper than propane

when propane price = $2.62 the water heating cost would be equal to electric

we used $4.64 for propane, current prices are lower

and this data is for a tank water heater

Pioneer 197SF

pros and cons

• save $10-$20 a month, but the savings will be reduced by increased water use

• take up less space

• can be mounted on an exterior wall - that’s my recommendation, if something fails they can’t leak in the house, and the cost of venting is much lower, but they need freeze protection

• unlimited hot water

• no electricity, no hot water

• more complicated, if it breaks cost $$ to fix

• installation location is important

• they have a minimum flow rate before they will heat

• there is a delay between when the water starts flowing and the heat starts

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

energy guy again -

Pioneer 197SF

do you personally use one?

i burn cormorants but when they aren’t available I use a tanked gas water heater, I use very little hot water so it doesn’t make economic sense to switch to tankless, but when the tank fails I’ll go tankless

Pioneer 197SF