Tax prep

Anyone here do it? My person has gotten really expensive over the last couple of years. I don’t do anything complicated. Filing jointly, one rental property, that’s it.

What should I be paying?

I’ve been using Turbo Tax for years. It keeps creeping up price wise as well, but I’ve been in the neighborhood of $65 the last few years.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

we were in the same situation…all we had was a rental property and regular husband/wife income. Our professional started charging upwards of $400 for preparing the return. Funny thing was, they would send us a questionaire to fill out for them to then complete and file our tax returns. Well, if i have to go through all the trouble of filling out the questionaire , I may as well be filling out the forms myself. So, we dropped the professional and went to Turbotax. It’s been pretty straightforward so far.

Similar as you, I have paid $150 for the past 10 years. Walk in, hand them everything, walk out 45 minutes later. However, my person is in Loris SC, and I make a trip there every tax season from Columbia. She is so good, and reasonable, I just make the drive. She usually handles farm payroll and taxes all year, and other businesses taxes during tax season. I would never go to a corporate office, this is a small business out in the country.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Can’t beat Turbotax for simple returns. It walks you through the entire process.

I’ve used TaxAct the last couple of years, it can do simple and more complex returns, cost around $20 for Federal and State returns.

Sea Hunt 207CC,Yam F150
Carolina Skiff (old school model)17’ Suz D50

I pay an accountant $450. He even files my extension every year automatically:)

skinneej, do you mean he knows you are gona be late, ahead of time:face_with_head_bandage::wink::smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

skinneej, do you mean he knows you are gona be late, ahead of time:face_with_head_bandage::wink::smiley:

You got it!

I literally just filed my 2015 taxes last week. Note that we got an extension because of Hurricane Matthew.

TurboTax. After your enter the info the first year it’s a breeze.

I just bought it for this year. It’s less than $50 including state.

TurboTax all the way, especially if you have investment income. It can access your brokerage account and download dozens of pages of data and do all the math while you drink coffee.
:smiley:

ZX

I used to use TurboTax, have used TaxAct or TaxCut (can’t remember which right now)as my credit union gave it to members for free. They’re all very similar. My taxes are simple, with the standard deductions and it takes me about an hour for state/federal.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I went to my CPA’s funeral just before christmas! Have used him for 20 so yrs. He had a one man co. He did my LLC before I retired and has done my personal and rental income since. He’s gon’a be hard to replace! He was alot younger than me and in better health, you never know

I do 'em, but won’t do any except mine this year, probably. Usually charge a case of Natty Light when I do :slight_smile:

for those doing extensions, you do know if you owe, you pay penalties/interest, correct? A lot of people I run into think it’s a “free” extension…

quote:
Originally posted by SchoolsOut1

I do 'em, but won’t do any except mine this year, probably. Usually charge a case of Natty Light when I do :slight_smile:

for those doing extensions, you do know if you owe, you pay penalties/interest, correct? A lot of people I run into think it’s a “free” extension…

Yeah. Just interest. Penalty is only if you don't file extension. It's not much extra

Been using Turbo Tax for many years now, probably since they first started. I enter the data (1099-R’s, W-2’s, 1099 DIV’s, property tax statements etc) as soon as it comes in the mail. Taxes are done as soon as all paperwork is received. Never had an issue.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250