Tax question

I’m in the process of buying a starter car for my niece. What’s the rule on gifting money to a family member and how do you claim that on taxes…or does it help at all? I’m purchasing the car (5-6K) and then signing over to her so that she’ll have ownership/carry insurance on it. I felt like this was the smartest thing to do to keep me from being liable in case an accident was to occur. That being said, if I gift that money to her, does that reduce my taxable income by that amount? I have a tax person, but wanted to get an opinion from people who have done it of how I should do this to insure I don’t screw myself and pay a bunch of extra taxes that I don’t need to.

Thank you in advance.

www.baturinphotography.com

Rich people, need to pay more tax’s! Just pay it and suck it up, Uncle 23!

Sincerely;
Your Nephew, Easy

Trying to be financially responsible and retire at a decent age to fish/hunt 5 days a week. Only way to get there is to keep more of my hard earned money Grampa Easy!

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Frequently-Asked-Questions-on-Gift-Taxes#1 :wink:

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I’m in the process of buying a starter car for my niece. What’s the rule on gifting money to a family member and how do you claim that on taxes…or does it help at all? I’m purchasing the car (5-6K) and then signing over to her so that she’ll have ownership/carry insurance on it. I felt like this was the smartest thing to do to keep me from being liable in case an accident was to occur. That being said, if I gift that money to her, does that reduce my taxable income by that amount? I have a tax person, but wanted to get an opinion from people who have done it of how I should do this to insure I don’t screw myself and pay a bunch of extra taxes that I don’t need to.

Thank you in advance.

No, it has to be to a deductible charitable organization in order for the deduction.

I think the rule is if its under aprox $11,000 you can gift it without additional taxes. But I’m far from a tax expert. I think you can buy for over 11,000 and depreciate cars easily too.

First, Most, Biggest

If you didn’t like my answer, why didn’t just ask, The Pod:smiley: Or better yet, skinneej:question:

quote:
Originally posted by Great White

I think the rule is if its under aprox $11,000 you can gift it without additional taxes. But I’m far from a tax expert. I think you can buy for over 11,000 and depreciate cars easily too.

First, Most, Biggest

$14,000 for 2015 and the person that receives the money(donee) does not have to pay taxes.

Check with the auditors office.

Double D.

I wouldn’t trust advice from any of us on here

-wishes Macdaddy would come home

Short answer, My gift is not tax deductible.

Thanks,

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

If you didn’t like my answer, why didn’t just ask, The Pod:smiley: Or better yet, skinneej:question:

Peepod told me once that he’s never filed and Skinnee is the only multi-millionaire I know that plays around on a fishing website all day…neither one of these guys play around with the small change I’m talking about.

Man, what a nice Uncle!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

You’d be surprised how much money you can save without kids!

quote:
You'd be surprised how much money you can save without kids!

Tell me something I don’t know. One in college, one in middle school. Still, wouldn’t want to be without them.

Hey, Connor still has something for you.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I know, we need to get out fishing soon. I’ve been preoccupied this year, lol

Good for you, 23!

Also, advise the owner to take out the highest liability Ins. they can afford…

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

From “It’s a Wonderful Life”… “Why do we have to have all these kids???”
Ya, they drain the bank but I wouldn’t trade em.

Very cool of you to do that 23.

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com