Teardrop camper title , tag

A friend wants me to help him build a teardrop camper but he (we) can’t seem to find out how to get it registered and a title , tag in SC . All the info seems to be on motorized vehicles .
Anybody to clear this up with a link or something >?
DF , where are you bud ?

I believe since it will be homemade, it would need to have an ID# assigned, et. There is a form on the DMV website for doing that as I just saw it a couple of weeks ago. When you go to the DMV website, there is a menu on the left (I think). One option should be forms. You’ll have to hunt through as I don’t remember the #.

Thanks for the prayers, it’s been a tough week.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Thanks , I’ll look again ,
All I can find is them wanting a Manufacturer Certificate of Origin to get a title for a camper or a trailer . Form 400
The folks up here at DMV send ya in circles about anything . Maybe I can call Columbia .
Sid

Try form 401-A, “Application for an assigned serial number”. It has a box to check for “homemade”. I know there is a way, DMV just makes everything so convoluted.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Start with form 401-A Application for an assigned serial number. You’ll have to mail pictures of the trailer to Columbia along with receipts for where materials were obtained.

I’ve built a few cars from scratch, be prepared for a long process and something of a waiting game with the folks in Columbia. The quoted lead time is 3 weeks for serial number as it’s only handled by one person in Blythewood. When you call to follow up, get a name and extension number so you can reach the same person again instead of going back to square one every time you call.

My second car took the better part of 3 months to get an assigned VIN. The inspector from DMV came out, did a thorough review, then signed off on form 401-B which I took to the title and tax offices.

Good luck.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

Thanks yall for taking the time to respond . I’ll report back on how it came out . Maybe he can use it this fall when it’s cooler if we hurry.:smiley: