Techniques For The Beginning Fly Fisher

Don’t get frustrated! We all started at the same place and its easy to become overwhelmed with new terminology and techniques you are not used to.

If you’ve picked up the Coastal Angler Magazine, its obvious you already fish. I’ll try to break it down simply so it all make sense.

The cast is entirely different and its generally where most people jump ship… Read the rest of this great article by Scotty Davis Here: https://coastalanglermag.com/techniques-for-the-beginning-fly-fisher/

SABJAR

Don’t practice. Micheal Jordan never did.

Seriously, find a park or backyard and practice. Google Lefty Kreh and watch every video by this guy. Acceleration with sudden deaccelleration in your casting motion.

2015 201 Bay Scout
150 Yamaha

Don’t practice. Micheal Jordan never did.

Seriously, find a park or backyard and practice. Google Lefty Kreh and watch every video by this guy. Acceleration with sudden deaccelleration in your casting motion.

2015 201 Bay Scout
150 Yamaha

I started in 1967 at age of 12, so been fly fishing a few years now. I still need to practice. IMO, it’s best to practice on water when possible, but grass is fine if that’s all you have. You don’t get the same tension on the line in grass that you get on the water, so picking up the line is a little different.

That’s a pretty good article. Basic, but a good place to get started. I really like how he pointed out “tippet” being the end to which you tie the fly. Folks are often confused by what the term tippet means. Tippet is the end of the leader where the fly is tied, while tippet material is line that is added to that same end.

I have been fortunate to have talked with Lefty a few times, and been around where he was talking and giving casting demonstrations. The man was a national treasure!

If it was quick and easy everyone would be doing it.

I started fly fishing about 10 years ago and still consider myself pretty much a novice but I still have fun doing it.