Thanksgiving oyster splurge?

Our new family is from Colorado,and are oyster fiends, but they have not had the wonderful briney goodness of the oysters from our local waters.I want to blow them away with the best that can be had on Thanksgiving.Price doesn’t matter one bit.Clammer Dave,Sellsfish? Who Farms what are called “Carolina Cups”.Who should I talk too?

If you want them to have the perfect oyster experience, take them out and pick up their own selects. Oysters are easy to catch, not very elusive if you sneak up on them slowly :smiley:

Nothing better than picking them in the morning and eating them in the evening. About anytime I go fishing in months with an R in them, I’m bringing home a meal of oysters or clams, even if I can’t catch anything else :smiley:

I don’t buy oysters myself, but I’ve bought other things from Sellsfish and all of his stuff has been first class.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

If you want them to have the perfect oyser experience, take them out and pick up their own selects. Oysters are easy to catch, not very elusive if you sneak up on them slowly :smiley:

Nothing better than picking them in the morning and eating them in the evening. About anytime I go fishing in months with an R in them, I’m bringing home a meal of oysters or clams, even if I can’t catch anything else :smiley:

I don’t buy oysters myself, but I’ve bought other things from Sellsfish and all of his stuff has been first class.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Yep, the out of towners will go back telling everyone they hooked a huge one and got spooled…:wink:

RBF

“Make America Sane Again.”

son and I have gathered oysters for many a year. Probably for the money just as easy to pay a local for a bushel or three. But for bragging rights, no better than getting them yourself.

While collecting do not trash the bed, just take what can consume. don’t discount looking for selects that have fallen off a cluster around a mound.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
son and I have gathered oysters for many a year. Probably for the money just as easy to pay a local for a bushel or three. But for bragging rights, no better than getting them yourself.

Been doing it all my life, and I’m not greedy. A 5 gallon bucket full is plenty and I’m very selective. If I needed 3 bushels, I’d buy them for sure, that’s a lot of work, but it’s easy to bring home enough for dinner when the fish don’t bite. Or even if they do.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I am seeing a niche market. Paul can take folks out on Oyster Charters.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

So I’m going to fly to Colorado Springs with Oysters as checked baggage?

quote:
Originally posted by mckee16

So I’m going to fly to Colorado Springs with Oysters as checked baggage?

Just took it for granted that they were coming here.

Not sure on where to get cups, but I’m sure sells can get some good single blades.

I think Clammer Dave ships. Not sure if they have cups either?

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Call me about a week before, and I will get you some beautiful Carolina cups from down around Edisto. Or some large folly blades if you prefer. 843-926-5137

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Now that’s a plan!

thanks

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I am seeing a niche market. Paul can take folks out on Oyster Charters.

When we are in the act of “commercially oystering”, I can only have commercial fishermen on the boat with me. I can go out and recreationally harvest oysters, but then we are bound by a 6 bushel limit to the boat . I would have no problem taking folks and showing them how and where to harvest choice clusters, selects, snd clams.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

I like getting my own, and it is a pretty easy task. The hard part comes when its time to clean the mud off the boat and oysters. Like Capt. Larry mentioned, if I only want a few for myself, I get a buchet full. If I need several bushels on more, I buy them!!

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

I hate to sound stupid, been grubbing oysters for 60 years, but what in heck is a Carolina Cup :question:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I thought it was a horse race in Camden where college students get drunk and stupid.

All specialty single oysters get geographical names. You get the Beausoleil from Canada, the Long Island Bluepoint from New York and Connecticut, there are about a dozen different names of Oysters from the Chesapeake Bay and Virginia, and my favorite non-local Oyster which is the stump sound select from North Carolina .About 10 years ago they started calling both the May River oysters “Carolina cup”. This name has stuck for all of the round shell local oysters. The long narrow local singles go by the names of folly blades, Bulls Bay Blade , And even breach Inlet blades. The funny thing is they are all the exact same oyster! From the most northern tip of Canada all the way down the East Coast and around into the Gulf of Mexico to Texas, they are all the same oyster. What is different is the salinity factors, environment, and temperature. These all influence how an oyster will taste. I am trying to upload some pictures that are in a PNG file cannot seem to convert them to JPEG .

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

Thanks for that, I just call them all oysters. Our locals are better than anything I’ve had anywhere else :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

This is a stump sound oyster from North Carolina, of the East Coast or Oysters I find this to be the saltiest one. You can tell a true stump sound oyster because of the green tinge to the shell

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

Interesting thread!

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

What size mesh do I need in my cast net to catch me some of those tasty looking oysters?

It is pretty neat how the oysters can be genetically the same thing, but the taste is so different from different parts of a region. High end hipsters have started to refer to it as “merroir” similar to terroir in wine tasting.