The sweet art of the long rod

Decided to take the day off and throw the fly at some reds. Lately I have been fishing with my buds and doing very well with bait but I have been wanting to get out on my own and throw the fly. Yesterday was a great day to do it. Set out about 7:30 with little wind and very calm waters. Met Fishwistle readying for a charter at the landing, he seems like a nice fella. Headed to Stono Inlet and found reds in shallow water chasing mullet. Got in position and had a fish on within minutes. Fish goes 22" and is released. Hooked up shortly there after to what was a bigger fish. Looked up and kayaker is coming around the nearby shell bank headed my way. My heart stopped thinking he would head straight to me after seeing me hooked up. He stopped and anchored up a respectable distance (thank you sir). I let that fish go (about 27") but the fight had put the school down and they had moved on. Saw some fish chasing bait on a sand bar about two hundred yards away and made a long waded to get into position on those. These fish were in several small schools of ten to twenty fish each. They were chasing the mullet the current was washing over the bar. They just held in the current and lounged at schools of bait swimming by. It was so calm you could see every school as it moved on the bar. I just stood there and cast to them as they got in range. Many times I spooked the school by lining them or the fly would splash down in the middle and they would bolt. They would not move very far and would start feeding again almost instantly. About every ten or twenty casts I would get a jolting strike that bloodied my stripping finger before the day was over. I caught four more reds from 26 to 31" before the tide got up and covered the bar. Watched that school swim away and waded to my boat for some cool refreshment. Man it was hot but it didn’t bother me til the bite stopped. I tried several flies and none seemed to excite the fish enough to be golden but each fly I used caught a fish after numerous tries. A maribou muddler did the best ac

quote:
Originally posted by marshmellow

Decided to take the day off and throw the fly at some reds. Lately I have been fishing with my buds and doing very well with bait but I have been wanting to get out on my own and throw the fly. Yesterday was a great day to do it. Set out about 7:30 with little wind and very calm waters. Met Fishwistle readying for a charter at the landing, he seems like a nice fella. Headed to Stono Inlet and found reds in shallow water chasing mullet. Got in position and had a fish on within minutes. Fish goes 22" and is released. Hooked up shortly there after to what was a bigger fish. Looked up and kayaker is coming around the nearby shell bank headed my way. My heart stopped thinking he would head straight to me after seeing me hooked up. He stopped and anchored up a respectable distance (thank you sir). I let that fish go (about 27") but the fight had put the school down and they had moved on. Saw some fish chasing bait on a sand bar about two hundred yards away and made a long waded to get into position on those. These fish were in several small schools of ten to twenty fish each. They were chasing the mullet the current was washing over the bar. They just held in the current and lounged at schools of bait swimming by. It was so calm you could see every school as it moved on the bar. I just stood there and cast to them as they got in range. Many times I spooked the school by lining them or the fly would splash down in the middle and they would bolt. They would not move very far and would start feeding again almost instantly. About every ten or twenty casts I would get a jolting strike that bloodied my stripping finger before the day was over. I caught four more reds from 26 to 31" before the tide got up and covered the bar. Watched that school swim away and waded to my boat for some cool refreshment. Man it was hot but it didn’t bother me til the bite stoppe

Nice sounds like you had a grand time.

2006 16ft actioncraft flats 115 etec

And I’m still trying to get my first red on the long rod… pffft*

Incredible day!

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

Hey Marsh, what size was that muddler?

Flatscaster Inc.
It’s the Largest Commercial Construction Company in the Southeast
New for 2007 -more "Wow"

If everyday could end that way we would all live an extra 10 years.
sweet

Muddler was a size two, tan wing, white crystal body. These work pretty well as a mullet imitation but they weren’t exactly killing it. I had a lot of hits that didn’t catch meat if you know what I mean, and when the fish are that tight you wonder was that a bite or did my fly bump one of them? The maribou tends to suspend in the water and the reds take it under the surface. Try a regular tan and white muddler size two for a top water presentation. The reds are really clumbsey trying to take top water but they do and effectively at times especially in the grass.

I dont believe any of this happened:kissing_closed_eyes:

He took the bait like a jugbelly redfish on an olive and white clouser.

quote:
Originally posted by flatscaster

Hey Marsh, what size was that muddler?

Flatscaster Inc.
It’s the Largest Commercial Construction Company in the Southeast
New for 2007 -more "Wow"

Oh rummy flats-you bugger you.

Have it Yor Way

I would give my left nut for a day like that.

Fritz you are a strange one!